Thread: encryption

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

encryption

Trying to understand encryption. Read the Win2000 help stuff and it seems to all be driven by the user that is logged in. On my system - I have a broad band connection and only login once a month or so. Others periodically use my system. All files are NTFS and as far as I know I am current with patches (except for .NET - can't figure out why I would want that).

I have several directories that I want to encrypt to keep prying eyes away. What I would like to do is encrypt the directories in such a way that one (even myself) is forced to enter a key to access the directories. I realize I can create another log on for myself and handle this, but knowing me - when I need a nacho, or a beer - I will walk away without logging off from the special logon id, thereby opening the directories to whoever sits down.

Is there a way around this that I am missing?

Tom

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: encryption

I suggest you Google for "encrypting file system" (with the double quotes), lay aside a spare weekend, and read 'til you drop!

john
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: encryption

You should also consider using a tool such as the Freeware version of PGP, but you would still have a lot of reading to do.

StuartR