Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Keep Courier available

I work for the State of Montana and the legal department has used the courier printer font in some legal documents. for reasons I won't go in to, they have to use this font. The problem is these documents need to be opened, modified and printed from many different agencies, and when those agencies upgrade to new printers, the courier font disappears. Changing the driver for the printer to an HP LJ 4 plus usually seems to solve the problem as long as it is set as default, and they can then switch to that driver when they need to work with these documents. Now I get into the two reasons for this post.
    1. Is there any way to tell Word to "see" the courier font when a newer printer (or the driver that really matches the printer) is set as default?
    2. We have two W2K PCs with Office 2K. One sees the courier font when the HP LJ 4 plus driver is used, the other one won't "see" the courier font no matter which driver or printer we use. The courier font is in the font folder. Is there a setting we're missing that might allow Word to see the font as a usable font?
    Thanks for any help or input on this.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Keep Courier available

Is it possible to use Courier New rather than Courier?

Courier New is a True Type font, printer independant, whereas Courier is a printer font. I don't know if they're similar enough for you.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Lounger
    Thanks

Nope, that is the first thing everybody asks and would be the best solution, but their documents have to be formatted perfectly, and apparently the only way is with the original font. They have volumes of documents going back years that they update and they would have to completely reformat them. Or something like that. So we are stuck with plain old courier.

JustCallMeAl

Then you have a greater problem than you may be aware.

It has been my experience that even within the same brand of printer (HP), that the printer fonts are different. In other words, printing on a HP IIID would produce just a smidgeon different in printout (and consequently page breaks) than printing aon an HP IIISi.

So, from my experience, not only do you have to have the same font, but you have to have the same model of printer!

Thanks

A suggestion:

See if you can purchase the Courier font in TT format and install it for your printers.

Suggestion 2: See if you can embed the font in the documents.

Suggestion 3: See if you can get new administrators. (The folks who decided that Courier is a must.)
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

JustCallMeAl

Suggestion 3. Great. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Lounger
    Thanks

That may be true, but they only complain when they get the documents back with a font other than courier. I believe the most important printing is done on just one printer by people in the problem agency, so when the document gets back to them, the courier reverts to the courier on their system.

Lounger
    Thanks

Chas,
    I'll check into Courier as a TT. Embedding seems to only be available for TT fonts. I better not respond to 3, they might read this (very doubtful, they would have figured this out long ago if they hung out here. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Tom

BAM

Hi Tom,

What printer is this a problem with?

Lounger
    Thanks

The printer they are using is a HP 4100 (although we see this on just about any newer printer driver, the courier font isn't available in Word). They have multiple trays, which they can use with the 4100 driver. They don't have them available when using the LJ 4 Plus driver. Since the courier font shows up on all but one computer, I'm thinking it's a system problem on that computer. I have recommended they rebuild the OS to see if that fixes the problem. A bit drastic, but she says it seems slower than an identical PC so may solve more than the printer problem.

BAM

Hi Tom,

I suspected something like that. As of Word 97, MS did away with a few fonts in Word, however those were screen fonts such as Fixedsys, vector fonts such as Roman, and a few TT International and Symbol fonts such as Bookshelf Symbol 2 and Arial CE. . (Note that with some inkjet printers, these fonts may still be available) But Monospaced Fonts such as Courier should still be accessible.

I installed every driver I could find for the HP 4 Plus and Courier was available with each one.

So as you indicated it is probably specific to the workstation. Perhaps the Courier font is corrupt?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Lounger
    Thanks

You know, they tried that on one of the other computers, prior to using the older driver, so naturally it didn't help. I guess my old cataloged that as being done. I will have her replace the font and give it a try. Thanks for jogging the old brain

Lounger
    Thanks

I had her replace the font with a copy from another computer but it still didn't work. BUT, she found a courier true type font and says it works. So I guess we found the solution. Not sure where she found the font though. Thanks for the help.
    Tom

Lounger
    Thanks

Chas,
    The tech person at this office found a courier true type font and it seems to have solved the problem. Thanks for the help.
    Tom

JaneBurges

Could I get information on how to get that Courier TT font from you? We work with lawyers and judges who want to continue to use this font.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast