2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Query Question (2003)

I'm trying to set up a query to import a comma-delimited file into Excel automatically, but there are no column headings in the file, so when it imports, the first row of data becomes the column headings. Is there a way...to avoid this?

Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Query Question (2003)

Do you mean into Access, perhaps? In Excel, it doesn't matter whether a file has column headings or not.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, I don't have Access. However, I have decided to change how I am getting this data into Excel. I'm just opening it as a CSV file, then have a macro which reorders the columns and formats the data the way I need it. I was just trying to do it using MS Query, but haven't had time to figure it out yet. My original goal was just to write a query to bring it in in the order and format I want, but this will take me a few days to figure out. Ultimately the same data is o8utput in a pipe-delimited format and eventually I'm hopeing to write a query that will get the data from the CSV file and output it to the pipe-delimited format.

If you know of any good utilities for something like that, let me know.

Thanks again so much for your efforts.

Thanks

you could create a macro to bring it in and order the way you like. It might be easier to import into excel and then rearrange in excel with a macro

Steve