Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Regedit32/System Administrator? (XP)

This starts out off topic but veers directly back on, so please stick with me.

Outlook has been having problems retaining my password. So, per the MS Knowledgebase, I've been trying to correct the problem.

After exporting a protected storage system provider key, the next step is to use regedit32. Unfortunately, my computer can't/won't find it. I'm guessing that regular regedit won't get the job done. So I'm stymied for the moment. (I guess that's how I know I'm using Windows).

Is it possible that I don't have administrator permissions and that's the reason regedit32 won't come up?

As ever, all thoughts, suggestions, observations and the like are welcome.

Thank you.

Neal

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Regedit32/System Administrator? (XP)

Regedit.exe is the one to use. Regedit.exe and Regedt32.exe (note the spelling - not Regedit32.exe) do exactly the same thing in Windows XP. In fact, Regedt32.exe is only a "stub" that starts Regedit.exe. (In Windows NT, the two performed different functions)

Thanks

Hi Neal,
    Regedit will do as well as regedt32.
    Regedt32.exe should be in your Windowssystem32 folder.

Read the thread starting with <post#=268881>post 268881</post#> for more info.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for all the help.

I've advanced a few more steps, but, unfortunately, I'm stuck again.

Per the Knowledgebase instructions, I located the HKEY_CURRENT_USER... registry key, went to Edit then Permissions. I verified that Read and Full Control were set to Allow. Then I clicked the Advanced button and verified that Full Control was listed in the Permissions colum and that This Key and Subkeys were listed in the Apply column.

And this is where things veered off the track.

I'm supposed to click Apply, confirm it, and click OK twice to get out. However, the Apply button is grayed out. There's nothing to click.

Then, I'm supposed to expand the Protected Storage System Provider key and delete the first subkey folder directly below it. (The key looks like S - 1 - 5...).

But even though I click yes to confirm the deletion, I get an error message and the deletion won't go through.

Now what?

Thanks for giving me the confidence to wade through this particular swamp.

Neal

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The Apply button will only be enabled if you changed a setting. Since you didn't have to change any setting, there is nothing to Apply. Nothing to worry about there.

I would restart the PC, then try again. Make sure that you do not start Outlook.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans.

I'm relieved.

<<I would restart the PC, then try again. Make sure that you do not start Outlook.>>

Do you mean don't open Outlook after restarting or is there some way to keep it from running at all (including in background, which I just discovered it does) before I restart the computer?

Neal

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can prevent Outlook from starting automatically (if your Windows has been configured to do so) by holding the Shift key down while Windows (re)starts. And don't start it manually before you try to remove the registry key.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

I tried it again and it still won't delete the subkey.

The error message says there's an error while deleting.

Now what?

Thanks.

Neal

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It would seem that you don't have the correct permissions, but you wrote that you checked them. I'm out of ideas, let's hope that someone else has a suggestion.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did check them (at least according to the instructions from the Knowledge Base). And they were grayed out.

Thank you for all of your help.

Neal

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you logged on as administrator? If not then try logging out and logging back in as administrator.

You said that "The error message says there's an error while deleting." Can you please tell us the full and exact text of the message.

Can you look in the event log (Start > Run > Eventvwr) and see if there are any events corresponding to when you tried to make the change.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for keeping my hopes alive.

<< Have you logged on as administrator? If not then try logging out and logging back in as administrator.>>

No. I'm not sure how to do that.

<<You said that "The error message says there's an error while deleting." Can you please tell us the full and exact text of the message.>>

It says: "Cannot delete S -1-5-21-1621865695-1987904228-2789773139-1005: Error while deleting key."

<<Can you look in the event log (Start > Run > Eventvwr) and see if there are any events corresponding to when you tried to make the change.>>

As far as I can tell, there are no events that correspond for System, Security or Applications. Just to be sure, I tried the whole thing again just now and there are no events in the log for the past 30 minutes or so.

I appreciate your help.

Neal

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have been trying to find the knowledge base article you have been following. <!mskb=836664>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 836664<!/mskb> is about the closest I can find, but this one doesn't have anything about checking permissions. Can you point us to the correct article.

Can you confirm the exact versions of Windows and Outlook that you are running. If you are running Windows XP then you typically log in as administrator by typing Control-Alt-Delete and then entering your username and password. But I believe that XP Home may hide the administrator account and make it harder to log in to - when you confirm your operating system we may find a lounger who can advise you better.

The key that you have an error deleting looks like a top level key in HEKY_USERS, the only keys my Windows XP Professional has under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesP rotectedStorage are Enum and Security. Can you confirm the exact registry key that you are trying to delete.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<<I have been trying to find the knowledge base article you have been following...Can you point us to the correct article.>>

I've been using article 290684, Save Password Setting not retained in Outlook.

<<Can you confirm the exact versions of Windows and Outlook that you are running.>>

It's Windows XP Pro. I'm not sure how to determine the rest of the version identification.

It's Outlook 2002 (10.6515.6626) SP3.

<<The key that you have an error deleting looks like a top level key in HEKY_USERS, the only keys my Windows XP Professional has under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesP rotectedStorage are Enum and Security. Can you confirm the exact registry key that you are trying to delete.>>

I'm not certain what you mean here. According to the Knowledge Base article, it says to expand Protected Storage System Provider under the registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Protected Storage System Provider and delete the subkey folder directly under it. That key is the S-1-5...string that I wrote previously. (Also, I've noticed tha t there is another one right underneath it that looks exactly the same.)

I hope this is the information you're looking for.

Thanks again for hanging in with me.

Neal

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the clarification.

When I looked at that registry key on my system, the only user who had any access to the key was SYSTEM. Can you check that your username has the correct access, and if not try adding it. (You may need to click the Advanced button, go to the Owner tab and change owner to your username to do this).

StuartR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast