New Lounger
    Thanks

Disk Space Recovery (Windows XP Pro /w SP2 )

I have a 5 Gigabyte partition which I try to reserve for system files only. Of course, many programs insist on loading to C:, so it's not perfect. The problem is that there are only about 250 Megabytes free. Which Windows files may be safely deleted? Do I really need those CAB files? I think I saw a file for running Help in Slovenian; are there other languages out there( I only speak one)? If so, how do I find them.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Disk Space Recovery (Windows XP Pro /w SP2 )

Possibly your first move should be to find what is taking all the space, so I'd suggest downloading and running the 30-day trial version of TreeSize Professional. Sort in descending order of size, and consider what could be done with the largest folders.

You may well find that you have a huge System Volume Information folder, or that your page file could be moved to a different partition (for example). How big are the $NtServicePackUninstall$ or "NtUninstall...$ folders, say?

There's no point doing anything about small folders and files -- concentrate on the largest!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You can also resize the space allocated for System Restore files (Press Windows and Pause/Break keys simultaneously (or run System from Control Panel), click System Restore tab, highlight your C: drive and press Settings button).

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have found that 5 gigs is NOT enough when running Windows XP. If one is using :Hibernation" and/or "Switch User" the open account files MUST be copied to disk before action is completed. This will eat up a lot of space. Along this same line, each account will the temp files, My Documents , My Pictures and any other folder some program puts there. If one is running Outlook (not Outlook Express) the "PST" files for each account will be there also.

Even if you install the programs on another drive, each will add to the C drive. There are just just files from each program that MUST be there.

The CAB files are there so when the CD is needed you will not have go find it and put in CD reader. It is well worth keeping these there.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.