3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

external modem (XP SP1a)

I have a relatively new PC with ethernet card and use ADSL. Lately there have ben problems with the ISP's ADSL service, so I bought an external modem (NetComm Mega-i-Modem 56) to use dial-up when the ADSL service is down. The modem is connected to COM1.
    An email to NetComm support proved fruitless- check the forums (no answers there).
    The hardware is recognised but I get an error message 633 (the port is in use or the modem is not installed).
    Suggestions have included running the tapiini.exe file in the Windows system folder after renaming telephon.ini. Neither of these files is on my computer.
    Would it be of any use to look for these files on the XP CD and copy them into the systems folder? If not, any suggestions?
    Many thanks
    Dianne

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: external modem (XP SP1a)

When you connect the modem onto the serial port do you get a New Hardware Found icon at the bottom right of the screen?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the quick response,John.
    On rebooting the new hardware is recognised. I was unable to install the modem from the CD provided as there was no setup.exe and the IcpCoInst.dll file was nowhere to be found on the CD. I downloaded the driver from the NetComm site and completed the installation. The modem is shown in the Device Manager, the modem is shown as enabled and is reported to have no problems, and COMI is reported to be working correctly.
    I ran modem diagnostics and the OpenComm message states:
    The port that the modem is using is currently open by another application. Exit any application that may be using the port.
    I checked running applications and nothing running at the time. Unsure whether any of the services running are a problem. Telephony is enabled in services.
    Error 633 persists when attempting to dial-up. I checked several forums and the advice re the tapiini.exe and telephon.ini files is consistently given, despite the fact that a number of forum users commented that these files are not on their XP systems. I am unable to find a KB article on this issue in XP on the MS site.
    The MS KB324760 article suggests a device driver conflict could be an issue. I do not have PalmSynch software, but wonder if there is a conflict. Nothing shows up in device manager.
    I've run out of inspiration!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You seem to have answered all the follow-up questions I hadn't yet asked! (Other than: Have you updated to SP2? Not that doing that is likely to affect matters one way or the other).

This is a really, really, stupid question, but are you sure your PC didn't come equipped with an http://internal modem card, that you didn't realise you had? I find from Belarc Advisor that I have a "BCM V.92 56K Voicemodem" which isn't of much use since I use the ethernet connection to a broadband cable modem. There's little reason to presume any interaction, anyway.

I don't have either tapiini.exe or telephon.ini on my XP Pro SP2 installation, and looking at TechNet indicates these files "appear" to be specific to Windows 95, 98 and ME.

I'd be tempted to suggest taking the modem back to where you bought it and ask for a refund. If the manufacturer can't be bothered to take an interest in your problem, perhaps try another one?

Maybe someone else can come up with brighter ideas?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's not at all stupid question! My first step in this whole melodrama was to go hunting with Belarc to check whether I did indeed have an internal modem card. The absence thereof lead me into this purchase- I do agree that it's time to go for a refund. And perhaps buy an internal card.....
    Thank you again. Dianne