2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How do images work in XP? (Word XP/Word 97)

Howdy folks,

I thought I finally understood Float Over Text in Word 97. Now my company has "upgraded" to Word XP, and I can't figure out how some of my figures are behaving anymore. Does anyone know a book, web site, or article which explains the new behaviors? Or is anyone willing to post an explanation here?

Some specific questions: What are the grey handles (usually they have a small x in the center) on some of my figures? What determines when a figure has black handles, white handles, and grey handles? Why can't I group objects that have these grey handles with objects that have white (or black) handles?

Can you tell I'm frustrated? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How do images work in XP? (Word XP/Word 97)

Briefly:
    All drawing objects have white handles. These you can move and size freely in the document.
    The moment you group 2 or more drawing objects together, they become 1 object. When you click on one of the objects INSIDE this grouped object, the handles turn grey. You cant do much with these. Ideally you must ungroup the object to work with these as individuals again.
    If you insert a picture into word, then the picture has black handles. This type acts as an oversized character and anchors to text. You would usually want to apply text wrapping to this picture, which turns the handles white, and allows you to move and size the picture freely!

Hope this helps!
    Regards,
    Rudi

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You'll also find lots of information and tips about graphics on the Word MVP site: Drawing and Graphics FAQ.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Rudi for the help. That's a start anyway.

Any idea why clicking a grey-handled object would only allow me the "Regroup" option and not "Ungroup"? Please see the attachment.

And is there a way to group drawing objects with non-drawing objects? For example, in the attachment, I'd like the whole figure to be one object or picture. I can't select the arrow and the text boxes at the top while also selecting the rest of the diagram. The only solution I've come up with (so far) is to paste individual objects into PowerPoint and select them all there, then paste them back into Word as a picture. It works, but I get strange results.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I type under correction: If the objects handles are grey, it is part of a group which could be currently ungrouped, allowing you to regroup it into the larger group. To ungroup the entire group, deselect the object, click once on the object, and ungroup (while the handles are white)
    I send you your attachment back, with the arrow and text box grouped into the graph. What I did was selected the graph, and sent it to the back using the order command. Once it was at the back of the arrow and text box, I selected the arrow and the text box, and the chart, using shift. Then grouped all three!

Hope I cleared up your questions!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards,
    Rudi