3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Firewall SP2 (Windows XP Pro SP2)

I have a hardware firewall and so I set the Firewall in the Security Centre to "I'll monitor it myself" ... as others have reported, Windows doesn't remember the setting. I would be grateful if someone could tell me how to fix this.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Firewall SP2 (Windows XP Pro SP2)

The discussion I saw suggested you disable the entire Security Centre, because he had all items as "I'll monitor this myself, thank you very much!".

(Just because you've got a hardware firewall, it doesn't mean to say you actually NEED to disable the Microsoft one, feeble though it be. It may make things easier, though.)

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Just because you have a hardware firewall does not mean you should turn off the Windows Firewall. Most people would suggest that you need a multi-layer defense and should run both a hardware and software firewall. There a many software firewalls available both free and paid. Most people will find that the free version of ZoneAlarm or Sygate Personal Firewall will suffice for home use. This page Security Center alert on every startup has instruction for modifying the registry when the security center settings don't seem to work.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm grateful to all of you for your prompt help and advice.