3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error message I can't get rid of... (IE 6/the latest release and patches)

I'm getting the following error message on a user's PC when I attempt to open an email -

"Your current security setting prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result this page cannot be displayed."

After clicking OK on the error message the email appears to come up fine. I realize that it says it's a security setting, but bear with me. I checked the user's IE version and it was 5.5, so I figured upgrading her IE to 6 would fix the problem (as I didn't get the same message when I opened up the email on my PC that has the latest version of IE). Well, I've updated all MS software on her PC and still am having this problem. I checked her security settings for IE against mine on my PC and they are the same. I have tinkered a little with her security settings, changing them one at a time, testing it, than changing it back and trying the next one, but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Error message I can't get rid of... (IE 6/the

This is not a problem; this is a good thing. When Outlook renders an e-mail message, it uses Internet Explorer, and the settings for either the Restricted Sites zone (preferred) or the Internet zone (living dangerously). An ActiveX control in an e-mail message could be a Word "Smart Tag" or a media player or a call to a system component or something truly evil. You don't know until you open the message and then examine its source code. Because you really never need the enhanced interactivity (or risk) of allowing ActiveX controls to run in e-mail, you should accept that this is not just a necessary evil, but a good thing. Your settings protected you!

If you're curious, right-click the message, view source, and look for anything similar to APPLET, EMBED or OBJECT. These are the tags typically used to trigger ActiveX controls.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info, and I agree that it is safer this way. What is weird is that I had no problem opening the email on my PC. The only difference between hers and mine (from a software perspective) is the OS we're running. She's running W2K and I'm running XP.

Thanks

I'm now running Office XP on Windows XP, and Word's SmartTags no longer cause the error. You can tell if they're in there from the strange dotted underlines under things such as names, addresses, stock symbols, and/or dates. Apparently these are handled differently on later platforms. (??)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

After working on it for a little bit more time than I should (since it's a non-business email) I've put it aside for now. Thanks.