Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Missing Field in Report (2002)

I have noticed that occasionally the City field on one of the records in a multi-page report fails to print. Yet, when I go back to the form the field is there, and if I print that one record the field shows up OK. Any ideas why Access would omit a field now and then from a report?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Missing Field in Report (2002)

Can you see a pattern in when the City field fails to print? For example, is it always in the same location on the page?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

It's always in the same place as I am printing a report consisting of a series of records from a table. Each record includes name and address info along with other data and an associated subreport. Normally the City field prints in the same place on each record, but once in a while it is missing from a record. I've only seen it twice so far in a report that prints some 80 or so records, and I haven't been able to pinpoint any particular pattern to it. I'll keep looking -- I've never had this happen before with Access, so it is rather strange.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I was asking if the field was missing on on a particular position on the page. If you're printing on an inkjet printer, there is usually a rather large non-printing bottom margin on the page. If the City field happens to be too near the bottom, it simply wouldn't be printed.

If it isn't that, I don't know what could be the cause without seeing the database.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Thanks for your interest in this problem. The missing printouts occurred in the middle of the pagej, so it isn't a bottom of page problem. I'll just have to keep monitoring what's happening and see if I can detect a pattern of some kind. It's a program that my wife uses, and she never remembers exactly what she was doing just prior to the problem turning up, so it's difficult to detect what's happening.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Further investigation only increases the puzzle. The report consists of 76 records on some 39 pages. Records 24, 36 and 58 are missing the City/State/Zip which comes from a control like this: =[City] & ", " & [State] & " " [Zip]. I've looked at these records in the table, and I can see no difference from other similar records. In fact, in one instance the immediately preceeding record is the husband, the next record is the wife (all the same city, state, etc.). The wife's record is missing the City/State/Zip info entirely! I have an option on one form that will preview or print a single record using the same report -- in that case the thing prints OK. It just doens't print when I go with the entire report.

It seems to me that this must be a flaw in the Access report generator. What might cause this problem is beyond me.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Clutching at straws here. Does the detail section of the report have controls (text boxes) with Can Grow set to Yes? If so, is the Can Grow property of the detail section itself set to No? If so, the City/State/Zip field might be pushed too far down by the fields above it to fit in the detail section.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

None of the controls above the City/State/Zip control have Can Grow set to Yes. The field immediately below is a memo field and Can Grow is set to Yes.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

So that's not the cause either. There must be something, for whatever the flaws of Access may be, it doesn't "just" drop fields in a report in my experience. But I'm out of ideas for the moment.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I'm out of ideas although I will keep trying to determine what is the difference between those that print correctly and those that don't. Perhaps I'm overlooking something. I think I'll try simply inserting the City field instead of a control that concatonates City State and Zip and see if it prints differently.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Could it be that the Hide Duplicates property of the textbox is set to Yes ?
    Francois

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Your idea is a good one I suspect - if your text boxes can't grow and are a single line in height, then an errant Carriage Return or Life Feed (or both) could make the data not appear.
    Wendell

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Francois -- that was the problem! Frankly, I had never even noticed that property, and it was set to Yes. Changing to NO fixed the problem. What a relief!

My thanks to all the other suggestions too.