2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

TOC tab problem (Word 2K)

The last two level 1 entries in my TOC have different tab settings than the rest of the level 1 entries. This behavior is consistent if I regenerate the TOC. The headings use heading numbering, so perhaps that is messing with it somewhat.

The TOC 1 style is defined to have a left tab stop at .3" and a right one at 6.5" (the margin). They look like this:
    <pre>
    1 Heading 1

1.1 Sub head 2

2 Heading Again 3

2.1 Sub head 4

3 Next to Last 5
    4 Final 6
    </pre>

The two offending entries have an extra tab at .69" in addition to the one at .3" The result is that if the heading is short, the number that should be right aligned ends up aligned at .69" instead of at the margin.

Why would these two entries have different tabs than all of the other generated entries in the TOC?

Thanks!
    Bob
    Writing Consultant / Word Template Designer
    Words Connect

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TOC tab problem (Word 2K)

In Win2K, TOC entries are automatically updated when a change is made; however, somehow this may have been changed where you could have direct formatting (in this case tab stops) on those paragraphs. Try to select the entire TOC by clicking on the first TOC level (everything should become black) and use the key combination Ctrl+Q. This shortcut strips any direct paragraph formatting applied to a selected area. Hope this helped... trish

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Trish, but that didn't fix it. I also tried deleting the TOC field, changing the style of the paragraph where it is inserted, and recreating the field. It still has the same results.

I noticed that the entries in question have double-digit heading numbers (10 and 11). It looks like Word changes the tab position for TOC entries based on the amount of space required by the autonumbered heading????

That seems weird, but it looks like that's what it is. If I delete some Heading 1 entries from the middle of the document so that headings 10 and 11 become 8 and 9, those misbehaving TOC entries shape up. Does it carry over the outline numbering indent to the TOC?

Now the question is, how do I fix it? It looks like I may have to increase the amount of space between the numbers and the text on all TOC headings. Weird!

Bob
    Words Connect

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bob
    I think that you should read <post#=405324>post 405324</post#>.
    Regards
    Don

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, that last response may not make sense. I originally started messing with this because the first tab on the problem entries was too far to the right. It looked like this:
    <pre>8 Heading 12
    9 Heading 13
    10 Heading 14
    11 Heading 15
    </pre>

When I looked at the tab settings for these entries, the text was lined up with the tabs, but the tabs for the double-digit entries were different than the single-digit entries. That's what confused me.

Hope that clarifies some!
    Bob
    Words Connect

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bob (& Don):
    Take a look at Dave Rado's article at http://www.word.mvps.org/faqs/format...CJasonTabs.htm & see if his suggestions or macro help. Let us know.

P.S. With regard to single & double digit numbers not aligning, you need to select right, rather than left, number alignment. See attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images