New Lounger
    Thanks

Do not want automatic DSL connection

Is there a way (through software or hardware) to have the computers boot up without an automatic connection to the internet via DSL? I want to have all users purposely open the connection, do there business and then close the connection. I know Zone Alarm will stop all internet activity, but you have to purposely turn it on after the computer boots. People here forget to turn on the stop internet activity, leaving us always connected to the internet.

Thanks

Re: Do not want automatic DSL connection

If you are using a router, the router configuration can be set to connect on demand. You can also specify a maximum idle time. If this time is exceeded, the router will disconnect. Beware however that it is not only the user who "demands" a connection. Software updates (Windows, anti virus programs, etc.) will also trigger a connection. If you are using a router, you are automatically firewalled - at least as far as inbound traffic. If you are also using Zone Alarm, then you are firewalled in both directions. ZA can be set to automatically load at boot time. The user then does not "have to purposely turn it on". The only other alternative that I am aware of is to physically plug in and then disconnect the router or modem when a user tries to connect or disconnect. This would certainly be unacceptable.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

To add to what John said, this will also affect your email program which normally polls for new mail every few minutes and most email programs send immediately.

I note that your concern is that you are always connected to the Internet. That fact is one of the primary advantages touted by the broadband industry and is normally considered a good thing - assumming the PCs connected are properly protected with current AV programs, and active firewalls such as ZoneAlarm for software client based, and hardware via your NAT router - and, of course, by the user practicing "safe computing" (frequent scans, don't open attachments, etc.).

Bill
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There's certainly a way through hardware. Disconnect the cable from your router to the Internet.

StuartR