New Lounger
    Thanks

Universal Macro for Doc Library (Word 2003)

I need help with a macro dilemma. I have a library of 300+ documents that are built on the same template with 7 identical section headings in each document. The documents vary in total length and also in the length of the 7 sections. I need to develop a single macro that can be applied to all 300+ documents that will enable the user to select from a toolbar or dialog box which sections they would like to remove from the document. I can create the toolbar/dialog box, but I'm not sure how to approach the removal of the text because I don't want to go into all the documents to set up bookmarks. Is there an easier solution?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    JeffA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Universal Macro for Doc Library (Word 2003)

If the sections are sections in the Microsoft Word sense, that is if they are separated by section breaks, you can delete a section relatively easily:

ActiveDocument.Sections(3).Range.Delete

will delete the 3rd section from the document. You have to be careful if the individual sections have different page settings, headers or footers.

Thanks

If you don't have actual sections, but you have consistent sytle formatting (e.g., Heading 1, then any number of body, Normal, etc., then another Heading 1), VBA can select from one Heading 1 to the next, back off a bit, and clear out the selection. I don't remember exactly how you expand the selection using a style name, but I've seen the code posted here (the post was in the context of selecting backwards to the last heading of a particular level). You still would need the user's input on which of the identical section headings is the relevant one...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    Thanks for your response, but unfortunately there are no section breaks, and because these documents are actually sub-documents that are added to a main template in mail merge, I'm afraid adding the breaks would create the problems in the template page settings (as you point out).

Jeff

New Lounger
    Thanks

jscher,
    Thanks! I think that might actually work. I'll look for the code you suggested.
    Jeff