2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

replication (XP)

I had to bite the bullet and take the whole database apart -- and re assemble as a new database-(this time using proper naming conventions) - we have to use replication because too much work is done offsite. Overall, the new database is working-- it is set up as a front and back end --BUT I was hoping that some of you could offer an easier fix than making all the changes by hand to each front end for each computer. Yes, I used the link manager to change the links to the tables, but there has to be a better way to change all the forms and queries. Remember, I have no formal training here but it is my job to keep this thing running. Christmas work has already started and I can not afford to shut down for even one day. So far I am managing by having data entered on the laptop while I get the rest of the computers set up. (it didnt help that two of the computers died this week-- when you depend on donated machines--you get what you pay for LOL) So after I had it mostly done --I now have two more to do. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: replication (XP)

In that situation, we usually replicate only the back-end (where the data lives) and then we put out a new copy of the front-end to each user each time we make changes. If you have to make design changes in the back-end, things can get ugly, though they will generally replicate from the design master. If you continue to make lots of changes to the front-end, that approach can be a real pain - hopefully the front-end will fit on a floppy (or a CD-ROM and all PCs have a CD drive). Otherwise you can create a replica of the front-end as well and replicate to each workstation, but that gets to be a major challenge if your users aren't regularly on a LAN. The real trick seems to be to get the back-end solid so you aren't making design changes at the table level - then you can usually replace the front-ends one at a time as you introduce new functions.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think the answer was that there is no easy answer-- but I want to be sure as it is becoming more of a challange daily. The backend is the replica. It has only the tables (maybe that is the problem -- should more than the tables be in the replica?) Because I am basically starting over, all the tables have different names __ could have avoided this but they were not named correctly when I started this some 8 or 9 years ago and as the database grew and I learned to do more with it, the mistakes came forward with the database. . You seem to be saying that I could copy the front end on a floppy and it would be able to be used on all the computers-- but it doesnt work for some reason. If the queries were in the backend and only the forms and reports were in the front end, would I have better success? This is really crunch time for me and I dont have time to devote to this redesign; but we lost two days work from the database refusing to sync with the other replicas and then freezing-- I knew I had to do something before we lost everything. Thank you for any advice you can give .

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You've approached it the right way - only the data should be in the back-end. But if you've changed table names and the like, at a minimum you will need to redo all the queries in the front-end to use the new table and field names. You would also need to alias the field names back to their old names for any reports or forms based on them. And any forms or reports that use an embedded SQL statement would need to be reworked, as would any forms or reports that link directly to tables. The bottom line is you basically have to build a new front-end that matches the table and field names of your new back-end. Then you should be able to simply copy the front-end to each workstation. It's a sizeable undertaking as you've already discovered, but once your front-end is fairly stable, your life should be simpler.

BTW, I hope you weren't too badly affected by the recent spate of weather - I'm assuming that you are associated with Citrus County Florida.
    Wendell