Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Can't Edit Comments (2000+)

I have a workbook in which I can no longer edit certain/many comments. What I mean by that is that I can select a cell with a comment indicator and see the comment. When I right click on the cell, I have Edit Comment as a choice in the short-cut menu but choosing it just gets rid of the menu; the comment does NOT open in Edit mode. Same thing happens if I select the cell and go to the Insert menu. Edit Comment is a choice but clicking on it just closes the menu without opening the comment to edit.

A few observations:
    - the comments in question were created when I first created the workbook (in the Spring sometime). I can't swear to this but I believe some of the other comments in the workbook were created at the same time. I can edit those but not others.
    - I added some comments yesterday and I can edit those.
    - the comments that I can't edit are all in Col A. I can't seem to edit any of the comments in Col A. The other comments that I think were created when the workbook was created are not in Col A.
    - col A had hidden cols next to it and there was a freeze on col A. Taking off the freeze did not help. Unhiding the cols did not help.
    - The workbook was created, if I recall correctly, on a Win 98 machine with Excel XP. I no longer have that PC. I've tried editing the comments on a Win XP machine with Excel 2000 and a Win XP machine with Excel 2003. Same result-can't edit comment.
    - If I delete a comment in Col A and then add a comment to the same cell, I can then edit the comment.
    - I can add a new comment to a cell in Col A and edit it.
    - Nothing is protected in the workbook.
    - there are too many comments in col A to delete and add back. I can pretty much live with the comments as they are but would like (but don't need to) to make a small change or two. But this is a strange behavior.

Thoughts?

TIA

Fred Burg

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't Edit Comments (2000+)

Could you attach a stripped down version?
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Jan Karel,

Actually I can attach the full version. It's only 57KB and the information is public info available on the New Jersey Dept of Ed web site.

I'll bet it's something obvious but it's just escaping me for now.

Thanks.

Fred

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I can't guess what is causing this, but if you make the column just a little bit wider, the ability to edit the comments comes back.
    Legare Coleman

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Legare,

Thanks much. I would never have connected the two. Sounds like a bug to me.

After making the col wider, I was indeed able to edit. And even if I made the col smaller than it was originally, I am still able to edit the comments. So there might be something in just changing the col width (bigger or smaller) that may bring back the editing capability. In fact, I took the original workbook that I posted (where the editing was "stuck") and made the columns SMALLER. That allowed me to edit. If I closed w/o saving changes and re-opened, editing still stuck (as expected). If I closed w/ saving changes and re-opened, I could edit.

Weird.

Fred

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Stranger yet. If I select column A and then do Format|Column|Width and click OK without changing the width, the ability to edit comments comes back. My only guess is that there is some kind of corruption which gets cleaned up.
    Legare Coleman

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

That approach came to me as I was jogging. I just got home and was going to try it. As always, you're at least one step ahead of me.

I was also going to try double clicking the col divider; even if it didn't move, I would bet editing would come back.

There must be something in the workbook that's preventing the update but only for some cells. I didn't even know that, other than protection, that it was possible to freeze comments. Although I didn't think I'd find it, I even looked in the options.

This is indeed strange.

Fred