Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

One-user problem (Home SP 1)

I have a computer with two users with administrative privileges (plus the Administrator plus Safe Mode options), and one of the users has severe problems at startup. Unfortunately it's the main user, but fortunately most of it is backed up and virtually everything is accessible by way of the other user(s). I should add that there's only one of me, and this might illustrate the benefit of having a second user. Outlook data is about the only major thing I can think to worry about, and most of that is backed up fairly recently.

I've had a lot of trouble with this machine but I now realize that it's probably confined to this user. I have, for example, tried to install SP 2 five times, all of which were unsuccessful but all of which were through that user. (I now have the CD, which might help.)

I have removed as many TSRs from the startup as I could, but I still can't get it to start and I'm not having much luck with System Restore. I would welcome any suggestions.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: One-user problem (Home SP 1)

If you want suggestions then you will need to give much more information. You say that you have problems AT STARTUP, but then say it is only for one user. I guess this means that startup is completing and you have problems when that user tries to LOGIN, but that is a guess on my part.

Tell us exactly what you do and what the system does in response and we can try to help you.

StuartR

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I'm happy to report that I have User One back in business, but the cure is a mystery. It may have been utilities I ran as User Two, and I'm still wary of doing anything more than backing up the latest data and setting a restore point. I could now transfer the data to a different user and get rid of the old user entirely if that would do any good, but I'd have to have all the settings right. (I couldn't understand why the printer wasn't working and then realized that it wasn't set in User Two's profile.)

You correctly surmised that Windows had successfully started (I could either tap f8 and get Safe Boot and other options, or leave it and have a splash screen with the users and their boring photos for LOGIN), but this stuff is so routine that I tend to think of it all as part of a boot sequence. What has been happening when I do try to LOGIN is that the desktop icons appear first, then the START button, then the Quick Launch Toolbar, and then the System Tray(?) starts filling. The further I get in this sequence the better off I am, and occasionally things are so messed up that I don't even get the desktop icons.

The tray starts to fill, but then stops, and one program or another, presumably depending on the sequence, is creating a problem. Forgive me if I call these things TSRs but I don't know the modern term, and I don't know where some of them come from apart from the Startup Group or an 'Options' setting in the program itself. There are some I'd like to get rid of but don't know how (e.g. Quicktime) and at least one I'd like but don't know how to restore (Safely Remove Hardware). Some were obviously put there by rarely-used software and I have removed them, and since I'm not online continuously I have removed the Load On Startup feature for several internet-related programs that I manually start when I'm about to go online. If LOGIN is the problem, then the fewer chores the better. The Quickstart icons appear in a flash, but filling the tray can take some time and is where the machine usually stalls when it does stall.

Possible clues. When things are gummed up the clock in the corner stops, but when I get the computer running again it displays the correct time. The cursor is fully under control, but no other input, including keyboard or mouse buttons, works. The only way I have found of shutting it down is the power switch.

Thanks

Do a format and a CLEAN install of XP.
    Why mess around with band aids as long as you don't have any REAL important things to back up first.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I'll get around to it someday, but it's hideously time-consuming and today is not the day. Thanks for the reminder.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This sounds like you have a program that is using up all the CPU.

When it happens can you try Control-Alt-Del to get the task manager, switch to the Processes tab, sort by CPU usage by clicking at the top of the column, and look to see what process is using up all the CPU. If System Idle Process has a high figure then this means you have plenty of available CPU.

StuartR