Thread: Network Printer

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Network Printer

I have a wireless network for internet sharing set up and want the other two people to be able to use my printer. The HP office jet 7130 is hooked up to my desktop. The network is created with a Linksys 2.4GHz wireless B router on the same desktop as the printer. the other two people are using Dell laptops and everyone has WinXP Pro SP1. If you need any more info please ask and thanks in advance for any help !!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network Printer

Can I confirm my understanding of your setup.

Linksys Wireless Router and one PC connected together by Ethernet.
    Internet connection connected to the Linksys router
    Or is the internet connection going direct to the main PC?
    Other PCs have wireless cards and connect via these.

On the PC with the Printer, have you tried Start > Printers and Faxes > Right click your HP printer > Sharing > Share this printer

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Linksys Wireless Router and one PC connected together by Ethernet. YES
    Internet connection connected to the Linksys router YES
    Or is the internet connection going direct to the main PC? TELEPHONE LINE TO DSL ROUTER AND ETHERNET CABLE BETWEEN DSL ROUTER AND LINKSYS ROUTER - DESKTOP CONNECTED TO LINKSYS ROUTER BY ETHERNET CABLE.
    Other PCs have wireless cards and connect via these YES

On the PC with the Printer, have you tried Start > Printers and Faxes > Right click your HP printer > Sharing > Share this printer YES I HAVE THAT CHECKED ON THE DESKTOP. I USED THE Hp CD ON ONE LAPTOP BUT WHEN I GET TO A CERTAIN POINT IS SAYS IT CAN'T FIND THE PRINTER ON THE NETWORK. Hp HAS A PRINT SERVER GIZMO ... MIGHT I NEED THAT (IT SAYS IT ONLY WORKS ON PEER TO PEER AND NOT MASTER AND SLAVE (I DON'T KNOW WHICH ONE MY SETUP IS)).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You only need to install the software on the printer directly connected to the printer, the other PCs will download the software they need when they connect to that one.

Let's assume that your PCs are called SERVER, PC1 and PC2, and that SERVER is connected to the printer and has shared it with a share name of PRINTER (you can tell us the correct names if you want or we can keep using these fictional ones).

On PC1 or PC2 can you get a command window open (e.g. Start > Run > CMD) and type the command
    NET USE SERVERIPC$ /USER:USERNAME
    (replace SERVER and USERNAME with the name of your server and the username that is valid on SERVER)
    What output do you get?

On SERVER can you right click My Computer and choose Manage. On the left hand pane open "Shared Folders" and click "Shares". What do you see in the right hand pane?

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Server Info below, I will check laptop for other information when I can get the computer:

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This is a good start, the fact that Print$ appears in the list of shares tells us that this PC is serving at least one printer.

StuartR

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You might also consider getting a print server. HP makes an add in card for your 7130 but it is pretty expensive. There are wireless or Ethernet types available from common makers like D-Link, Belkin, and Linksys. Some Routers and switches have print servers built-in - a real convenience.

There are two main advantages to using a separate print server:

1. A separate print server allows every one on your network to print to the printer independently - that is, not going through a "host" PC. In fact, no other PCs even have to be turned on, or connected to the network. Nice if, for some reason, you need to reboot, you won't mess up anyone's print jobs.

2. You do not have to open up File and Print Sharing on any PC. This is a significant security advantage and may, for this reason alone, be worth the price of the Print Server!

3. Of lessor importance, using a print server means the printer can be physically located at a central or other convenient location instead of tethered to a PC.

Using HPs print server will also allow the other users to take advantage of the 7130's multifunction capabilities (scanning to PC, PC to Fax, etc.) as if they were direct connected. Some router or switch based print servers will too, if that is important.

Something to think about.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

On PC1 or PC2 can you get a command window open (e.g. Start > Run > CMD) and type the command
    NET USE SERVERIPC$ /USER:USERNAME
    (replace SERVER and USERNAME with the name of your server and the username that is valid on SERVER)
    What output do you get?

I hate to seem stupid but where do I find this info ? What do you think of the print server idea also mentioned ?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Using a print server is a reasonable approach.

I'm not sure what information you can't find.
    Do you know the names of your computers? If not then find this from Control Panel > System > Computer Name
    Do you know the username and password you use to log in on the PC connected to the Printer? I can't tell you what your usernames and passwords are, these are what you type to log in to the computer.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. I decided to order the Hp print server. If I understand what you said correctly ... I will not need print sharing activated on each PC ??? Thanks in advance for the help !!!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That is correct - no print sharing. I have the HP 7140xi which is almost the same as yours but mine came with the print server. I have 7 PC scattered throughout the house and they all print to it just fine. You map a TCP/IP printer port on your PC (since you are not connecting to a printer port on your PC) - the program will walk you through it - and start printing.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I received my print server and installed it. After I figured out that the reason I got 35% off Hp's retail price was that no setup CD or instructions, or cable came with it I started to panic that this wasn't going to be so easy. But after a trip to buy a cable and rummageing around on Hp's website, I downloaded what I needed to make the installation that went relatively smoothly. It is pretty cool to wirelessly print from anywhere in the house especially having done it myself. Thanks for the suggestion ... it surely made things go easier !!!!!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Great! I am glad it worked and glad you figured out how to set it up - now you're the designated expert!!!

I would guess that even after your cable purchase (and I know those special cables are not cheap) that you still came out ahead cost wise. Chances are, the files you downloaded were more current than what you would have had on the CD anyway - you should have no problem with XP SP2.

And yes, it is cool to print from anywhere - and what I like is the printer is not tied to a particular PC.

Thanks for following up!

BillB
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────