Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office Toolbar (Office 2003)

Hi,
    I wonder why MS dropped the Toolbar with 2003. I always use it., keeps things close at hand and leaves the desktop uncluttered. Two problems - can I load it from my 2000 disk? If so how do I load just the Toolbar? Secondly, with XP and Office 2000, the Toolbar hides the screen behind it - no doubt a MS decision - any way to correct this?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office Toolbar (Office 2003)

A couple of articles from Microsoft re the shortcut bar:
    Frequently asked questions about the Office Shortcut bar and Office 2003
    Office Shortcut Bar is not included in Office 2003

A good article on creating an alternative to the Office Shortcut Bar using tools included with Windows XP
    Alternative to the Office Shortcut bar

For some other alternatives see <post#=367498>post 367498</post#>

I have not used the shortcut bar for many years so can not help with your other question.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You guys are awesome. Don't know which option I'll choose, but at least I know there are some good alternatives. Thanks much.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

At first, I too was annoyed that Office 2003 does not include the OSB.

However, I am now glad that it's gone!

I was forced to analyze th ebuttons that I really needed, most of the buttons in the OSB are not needed and it was just too easy to display buttons that I rarely used.

My workaround was to plop what I needed into the system task bar.
    I ended up with 24 icons, most of which I do use, plus whatever gets displayed in the System Tray.

The reason that Office 2003 did not include the OSB had something to do with the way Office 2003 changed the handling of windows.
    I don't recall the details.

It was alleged that the overhead of including the code for an OSB would outweigh the benefits.

So far, I don't miss the critter.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Another approach, similar to the one about creating your own toolbar, is to create a folder of your favorite items as mentioned in the other tip. But put the folder onto your Quick Launch Bar - immediately to the right of the Start button. Click the folder and it opens to reveal the programs you have in there. Click the program and you're off and running. The drawback is that the folder has to be closed (if you want) and re-opened each time you want a program out of there. But it does not have to be recreated.

Fred

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

To expand (and perhaps simplify) the suggestion from <!profile=fburg>fburg<!/profile>:<UL><LI>The Quick Launch Toolbar is merely a folder - normally: Cocuments and Settings[your username]Application DataMicrosoftInternet ExplorerQuick Launch<LI>Create shortcuts to whichever programs you require (by copying from the Start Menu) and put them into the Quick Launch Folder<LI>For the shortcuts already in Quick Launch that you don't need: either<UL><LI>delete them, or <LI>move them to a newly created subfolder inside Quick Launch. ( You can hide that folder - if you wish - by right-clicking, choosing Properties and then checking the Hidden checkbox)[/list][/list]HTH
    Gre

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>( You can hide that folder - if you wish - by right-clicking, choosing Properties and then checking the Hidden checkbox)<hr>
    I never knew that. Great idea!!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Again, I thank you all. I have put several items in the quick launch tool bar and am glad for that. I maybe use more shortcuts than average because I use some (Office products and oft-used folder shortcuts), my husband uses others (photo and graphics) and pretty soon there's no room. But, this may work well when I get it honed just right. Maybe one day I'll be able to say "I don't miss it." Lana

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Since you are using Office 2003, then you are using Win 2K or XP and you and your husband can each have a Windows login and have just the icons each wants in their own Quick Launch area.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Unkamunka,

You are absolutely right - one can simplify my suggestion if you don't need many buttons. I created a folder to put on the Quick Launch Bar only because I have quite a few buttons even just for Office. The Office components would probably add 5-6 buttons for me since I use them alot. So I know the folder is just for these. It may not be the "quickest" but it beats the Start menu. My wife, on the other hand, only uses Word often.

I didn't want my QLB to be so wide as to stretch across the screen and didn't want it to be so narrow that I have to click to get back hidden buttons. I certainly didn't want the task bar to be 2 rows high. Hence the folder. Everyone gets to design what works for them.

In fact, you reminded me that there are 1 or 2 programs that I should add to my QLB. Thanks.

Fred

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have a couple of folders on my quick launch bar that take me directly to a particular level in a particular partition because I go there a lot. It makes it easy.
    Charlotte

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Fred:
    Like Charlotte, I have a couple often used folders on my QLB, as well as a couple of often accessed files. I found that it was faster to take my 7 most frequently used apps & just give them shortcut keys to start them.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I to use the QLB, but ONLY for those that I use ALL the time. Other programs that are NOT used as much are in my "pinned" area of the start menu. The east are accessed from the Start menu, programs, no big deal in getting to them

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.