3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macros and Printer Drivers (2002)

I've bought a used printer that seems to do fine--but if I want it to print different sizes of paper and so on, I have to go into the Properties in the Printer Driver (to tell it that I've got C5 paper rather than European A4) and so on. I'd hoped that I could do this job with macros--but when I record the necessary actions, nothing registers that I do inside the printer properties, just the pressing of the print button at the end. Has anyone any thoughts on how else I might automate the process.

Philip

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Macros and Printer Drivers (2002)

Hi Philip

Controlling printer properties from VBA is a rather complex issue. For an overview see this 4 part article on controlling the printer from Word VBA.
    Part 1 - Using VBA to Select the Paper Tray
    Part 2 - Using VBA to control Duplex, Color Mode and Print Quality
    Part 3 - Dealing with Different Paper Sizes
    Part 4 - Getting printer driver details

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The simplest way to do this is to create multiple Windows Printers (the logical thing you print to) pointing to the same physical printer. Each printer can then have it's own set of defaults for paper size, input tray etc and your macro simply needs to select the correct printer.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you both very much for these--the first informs me, and the second is brilliantly simple. Unfortunately, the printer in question has serious mechanical faults which make the whole thing rather academic. When it was working,I was having major difficulties getting WORD to overrule the settings in the printer memory.

cheers

Philip