Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook on Home Network (Outlook 2003)

Hi

I have a home network with several XP clients attached to a wireless router for my ADSL service. At the moment the family uses the PCs with individual logons and different structures depending on the machine they are using at the time. I am constantly annoyed that my Outlook runs on one of the desktops and I can't access my mail and other files from another machine. I can map drives although this is dependant on the target machine actually being "on". If I want to surf from a laptop in the lounge it isn't practical. I am considering adding a network storage device and mapping everybodies "My Documents" and such to this device so that we can all access our files no matter what machine we are using.

With Outlook I have experienced problems in the past when opening my pst file after another machine has been using it. Is this still the case? Will I experience any issues with my suggested approach? What is the best way to achieve "seamless access" to my email? Other files aren't really a concern - only Outlook.

Thanks!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook on Home Network (Outlook 2003)

Yes, PSTs are a problem because they are opened exclusively by Outlook.

I think "seamless" will be hard - however there are possible workarounds:

a) have each machine downloading from the pop-3 server.
    [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] replicate the PST periodically, and use the replicated verson
    c) link to the actual PST but get into a discipline of 'normally off"

a) is setup by having each machine leave messages on the ISP host. Have the "master" machine which delete messages after a number of days - e.g. 10 (e-mail Accounts, Advanced). The downside is that each mail message will be downloaded to each machine.

[img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] has the problem of discipline and also has a dated set of mail messages for everyone other than the master

c) is fine, so long as no-one else is logged in and using it but requires personal discipline from everyone.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook on Home Network (Outlook 2003)

Thank you for the reply Andrew.

I don't want to do "a" and I dislike replication so "b" would be out too. There will not be a situation where more than one PC will be accessing a pst file at the same time with the same user. Different individuals with separate pst files on different PCs. My issue is that I want to be able to run my email from ANY PC that I choose to use without having to have another PC turned on to allow drive mapping so that I can see the file. I figured with a NAS I could simply put the individuals "My Documents" files on that device and then access them from any machine so there would be transparency across the machines. I realise this would require that I set up each user account to look there for those files. This means that "Favourites" would also be uniform across different machines for each user too.

Do I still have issues with pst files "forgetting" things or requiring to "fix" settings such as rules and filters if the file has been accessed previously by another machine? This was my experience when I used to copy my pst file from the desktop to the laptop when I travelled and back again when I returned.

Thanks