3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Update query - must use an updateable query (2000)

I have an update query that refuses to work. The message it gives is 'Operation must use an updateable query.' I am trying to update to fields in a table with the results of some calculations that have been done in another query. My update query is very simple; it contains the table to be updated, with left joins to the query containing the calculation results (see below).

I've had a similar problem in the past and I think the essence of it then was that the fields that the joins point to in the table/query containing the data to be updated from, do not make up the primary key of a table. Access can't guarantee that there's a one to one relationship between the records in the table it's updating and the table it's getting the data from, so it refuses to cooperate.

In this case I know that there is a one to one relationship, but how do I persuade Access to update the records? I could create a table from my calculation query, index it, then use that in my update query. However, this seems like a lot of work. I could step through the table and the query in code, but this would be slow. I

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Update query - must use an updateable query (2000)

If you have a one-to-one relationship, why use a left join? Does it work if you change it to an inner join? If not, you can create an update query based on tbl_AllocGrid_Detail alone, and set the Update To values to DLookup expressions:

DLookup("Ros", "qry_AllocStoreDetail_ROS2", "branch_code = " & [branch_code] & " AND ProductCode = " & [ProductCode])

and

DLookup("CalcCover", "qry_AllocStoreDetail_ROS2", "branch_code = " & [branch_code] & " AND ProductCode = " & [ProductCode])

I assumed that the codes are numeric; if they are text, use

DLookup("Ros", "qry_AllocStoreDetail_ROS2", "branch_code = " & Chr(34) & [branch_code] & Chr(34) & " AND ProductCode = " & Chr(34) & [ProductCode] & Chr(34))

and similar for the other.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. Using an inner join did not work. In the end I have gone for the route of creating a temp table. I tried the DLookup approach but it took too long to run.

Was I right in thinking that the problem is because Access can

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Without seeing the database it's hard to say what would work and what wouldn't.