2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

TOC - Page Numbering problem (2000)

We have a case where one of our users reports that he opens a particular document and the same page number appears for all the table of contents entries despite the fact that the headings (ie., heading styles) in the document itself do not all appear on that same page. Once updated or printed, the correct page numbers do appear in the TOC. But every time the document is re-opened page numbering reverts to being identical throughout. Other than checking the obvious - Automatically Update Styles in Templates and Addins - does anyone know of a possible fix for this problem?

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: TOC - Page Numbering problem (2000)

I don't think updating styles will help at all.

It sounds as though the TOC field is being updated before the document is repaginated, resulting in invalid page numbers. Does toggling the "background repagination" (Tools>Options...>General) setting off and/or on change the TOC field's behavior in a useful way?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Page numbering was a bug in Word 2000 (as far as Numpages went). I don't recall if it also affected the TOC. The cure was SR-1a. Has your user updated Word?

I suppose another possibility is that the document is corrupt.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies. This situation continues to be a mystery in that when others open the document, the TOC looks fine - page numbering and all. It is only when one particular user opens the document that we experience the problem.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If this isolated to one user, I would suspect something is wrong with that individual's Word, whether it is a setting that he/she has changed or maybe the Normal.dot has become corrupt. Try deleting the person's normal.dot first, Word will recreate a new one. If that does not work, I would reinstall Word on that machine to reset the options. If you do not want to reinstall, you may want to figure out what the default options are and ensure that this user's machine is using the same options are everyone else. Hope this helps... trish