2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

JAVA won't install with Win98

I have upgraded a machine from Win 95 to 98. The upgrade went smoothly except that I got three successive error messages during the install stating that, for unspecified reasons, it was unable to install JAVA files. These did not prevent the install from finishing and , on first look, everything seemed to be all right.

Now I have discovered some oddities. At first, windows explorer would show no files in folders, though it showed the directory structure just fine. Finally I discovered that it was trying to display "as a web page". Changing back to classic caused the files to appear. I would be willing to assume this is somehow related to the JAVA.

The other problem is more puzzling. Drag and drop copying no longer works. There is no error reported but it just doesn't work. I cannot copy, move, or create a shortcut thru drag and drop (or cut and paste). I can delete, create and rename just fine. Other applications can load and save files to different directories.

I have done a second reinstall of Win98 from a different CD and gotten the same result.

Any ideas?

------Paul-----

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: JAVA won't install with Win98

Well, I still don't understand it, but I found a workaround/solution.

I did a third install of Win98 and got the same errors, but this time I wrote them down. It was reporting "Unable to install Java package from c:windowsjavaclasses" for three files: win32ie4.cab, xmldso4.cab and dajava.cab. It blamed all on "Unspecified Error". Well, a little internet searching indicated that all these were IE related files. I had a standalone IE5.5SP1 upgrade file and ran that. Immediately on running it reported that my configuration did not allow for installation and that it had installed some files to fix that "Please reboot and try again". I rebooted and installed and now all is well. Drag and drop work once again.

Ah, well. Life goes on.