Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Import from Excel (2002)

Hi,

We presently use scheduling software that allows us to export data from reports to excel to be further manipulated. I've automated this data but find that the end user often times blows it up or has issues. I'd like to be able to import the information into an access table where I can than redesign the reports as needed. My goal is to have a command button that will import the new data from excel and in one instance replaces the previously existing data and another instance adds to the previously exisiting data. In this instance the excel file is called [Client List .xls] and the path is C:Access Program DevelopmentExcel To Access FilesClient List.

I tried to see if I could use a macro to do it but had no luck. This isn't an area I've worked in before and don't even know where to start on this one.

Thanks!

Leesah

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Import from Excel (2002)

Here is a custom VBA procedure you can use:

Sub ImportExcel(strFile As String, strTable As String, blnAppend As Boolean)
    On Error GoTo ErrHandler

' Delete records if necessary
    If blnAppend = False Then
    CurrentDb.Execute "DELETE * FROM <!t>[" & strTable & "]<!/t>"
    End If

DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet TableName:=strTable, _
    FileName:=strFile, HasFieldNames:=True
    Exit Sub

ErrHandler:
    MsgBox Err.Description, vbExclamation
    End Sub

Use it like this in the On Click event of a command button cmdImport. I have assumed that you have a check box chkAppend to specify whether the data should be appended to the existing data, and that the target table is named tblTarget:

Private Sub cmdImport_Click()
    ImportExcel "C:Access Program DevelopmentExcel To Access FilesClient ListClient List.xls", _
    "tblTarget", Me.chkAppend
    End Sub

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Import from Excel (2002)

Thanks so much Hans! I can't wait to get to work testing it out. If this works the way I need it to, which I've no doubt it will, it will make my life sooooo much easier!!

Thanks again,
    Leesha