New Lounger
    Thanks

HELP: how do you force a windows service to start?

Hi Guys,

Anybody know how to force a windows 2000 server service to start?

the service is;
    Backup Exec 8.x Agent Browser

It has no dependancies, and i've tried net start. I have used an .exe file in the past, but cant remember what it was.

any thoughts

Cheers
    Phil

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: HELP: how do you force a windows service to start?

Probably you refer to Veritas Backup Exec. Make sure that the program is installed and started (check Windows Registry and Event Viewer).

Also you can download and install VERITAS DirectAssist. DirectAssist gives you the ability to diagnose and resolve many issues yourself.

New Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for the quick reply and the link kaplinb; will have a better look at it tommorow.

The tool was called PsTools v2.06 (http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml), not sure why it could start the service and net start couldn't.....

thanks again

Phil

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Phil

I don't know whether you were running the command on the server itself, because NET START servicename only works on the machine you're running on.

I know of three utilities which will start services on remote machines:<UL><LI>NETSVC<LI>PsService<LI>SC[/list]. I have given them in (increasing) order of efficiency, as measured by me. Both NETSVC and SC come from the Windows 2000 Resource Kit.

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

New Lounger
    Thanks

John,

Yeah, i was running net start on the server that i wanted to start the service, it turns out that the reason it wouldnt start was because the user credentials it had to start the service were incorrect. I changed these and iot worked.

The reason it worked when i used psservice was because i supplied correct credentials when i remotly started the service.

Thanks for the help
    phil

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Phil

Glad you found the answer - having the right authority to DO something is always a pain, particularly with scheduled tasks. You've reminded me of another!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...