Lounger
    Thanks

database design for the challenged (97)

i have a database with a set of tables named for their purpose. i want to make a form where i choose a CASE that has one or more CLAIMANTS who have a PLAINTIFF ATTORNEY and one or more DEFENDANTS who have a DEFENSE ATTORNEY which may work for more than one of the DEFENDANTS. all my tables have their data, but i can't figure how to do the relationships, and when i try to do a lookup table, the format keeps coming back as a number. i had primary keys on the tables but took them out except the CASE when i got gummed up.

any advice? please? thank you in advance

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: database design for the challenged (97)

You should have primary keys in the various tables.

I would use one table for the plaintiff attorneys and defense attorneys, since I assume that one attorney can be either (in different cases). See the screenshot below.

When you do a lookup (it's best done on forms and reports, not in tables), you should always include the primary key, but you can hide it by setting its column width to 0. The Combo Box Wizard available when you're designing a form or report proposes this automatically.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: database design for the challenged (97)

THANKS!!! your picture shows how i did the relations wrong-really wrong! i'll try it tomorrow.