New Lounger
    Thanks

right-clicking problem (Office 2003 SP 2)

I'm running Office Pro SP 2 on XP SP 2. Whenever I right-click on any element in Word or Outlook, instead of a context menu, the application and all of its open windows (e.g., multiple Word documents) minimize immediately to the Windows taskbar. Eventually, by clicking and/or right-clicking on the icon in the taskbar, I can re-size the application, but I still cannot use any of the program's context menu features.

I don't know if this happens also in any of the other Office programs, because these two are what I use daily, and it's driving me crazy!

Word or outlook do not crash or hang, and I receive no error messages to suggest a memory leak or other problem, when this behavior occurs. It happens whether one or both are open, and regardless of what other programs are running.

I have repaired and reinstalled the suite, but that hasn't helped.

Please direct me on what is causing this, and what can address it other than reinstalling the program, as that doesn't seem to work.

Thanks

Re: right-clicking problem (Office 2003 SP 2)

It's pretty difficult to pull a stunt like that using just Office programming. You could try starting with a "clean slate" (no macros) using:

Start > Run... > winword.exe /a

and see if you get better results. If so, it would mean that some global code (e.g., template or add-in) is intercepting the right-click and doing the wrong thing with it!

If you get the same behavior, could there be an odd setting in your Mouse control panel?

New Lounger
    Thanks

This approach didn't resolve the problem. Right-clicking caused all instances of winword.exe (1) to minimize to the task bar.

I doubt it's a mouse problem, since the right-click wcontext menu works properly with IE and all other applications, whether they are MS apps or not. The problem only occurs with Office 2003 on my machine.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"I'm running Office Pro SP 2 on XP SP 2."

Where did you get SP2 for Office 2003?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I got it from the guy who built my PC. The problem, BTW, existed before I installed SP 2.

He is paying a troubleshooting call to my office because I haven't been able to solve the problem on my own.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I do NOT think that SP2 for Office 2003 has been released or even in Beta testing. Are you sure that you are running Office 2003 and NOT 2002?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Since starting with a "clean slate" didn't work, it may be that there is a problem with the installation itself. Try backing up your documents, and then using Help>Detect and Repair. Note that this checks the entire Office suite, so it takes a long time. Also, you'll need your CD handy.