Thread: New hard drive

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New hard drive

I've been running Win Me which came on the PC 3 years ago, and recently bought XP Home Upgrade...except my old 20Gb hard drive barely has 2Gb available. So I bought a Seagate ST380011A 80Gb hard drive and installed it yesterday. The system is a Dell Dimension 2100 which uses cable select to determine the primary drive. With the new drive as the slave all is fine; the Seagate software transferred everything (including the OS) from C: to D:. When I switch the ATA cable around to make the old drive the slave and the new drive the primary, after I confirm the change in Setup the new drive won't load the OS. Problem is, I want to make the new drive the primary and want to load XP on it, and since XP will load on a newly formatted drive, should I just load XP on the new drive or is it going to look on that drive for an old OS to "upgrade."? The other question is, of course, should I worry about the new drive not loading the old OS since I want to dump it anyway?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: New hard drive

Assuming you have both drives on the same cable, you need change the jumpers so that both drives are on cable select (requiring that both drives and your controller support CS correctly) or use the old tried and true method of configuring the first drive as the Master and the second drive as the Slave. I would keep both drives installed. You can then use the old drive as a semi-safe location for backup files. I say semi-safe because if your computer is destroyed by fire or something, then both drives would be lost anyway. But still, any backup is better than none.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Thanks

Re: New hard drive

You can temporarily unplug the old drive, load XP on the new drive and it should be Ok. You did say that the new drive was formatted and the old OS was on it already?
    After the new drive has XP working on it, you can replug the old drive in and delete the old OS on it.
    I agree with Bill that you should keep the old drive as a backup or storage drive. 20 gig is a good size for that use.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!