3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ADSL connection (SP2)

Having recently installed a broadband (ADSL) connection, I find that after leaving the computer idle for some time IE and sometimes also Outlook Express can no longer connect to any sites/server. Restarting the computer always cures the problem. Is there some software setting that is causing this? I have checked out my modem/router (Netgear DG834G running latest firmware), cables, etc pretty exhaustively, so it seems unlikely to be hardware.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ADSL connection (SP2)

Could it be due to your system going into standby or hibernation. Maybe you can change the power settings for the network card. You might check what happens if you don't allow your system to go idle for 'some time'.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much for the ideas Eddy. It doesn't seem to be a hibernation problem, but will check out the network card power settings

All the best

Nick

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am having the same problem but I don't have to wait for the problem. I suddenly will get a page not found message and that kills my internet connection until I reboot. The local network still works fine but there seems to be no connection to the outside world. I started a thread with post 411284 about the problem, spent a week trying things recommended by microsoft support and the loungers, and still haven't solved the problem. It started about a week after installing SR2 but I don't know if that is what is causing it.

Thanks

Nick
    Not familiar with your Netgear setup. Is this an integrated piece of hardware or a separate router / modem? You say that restarting corrects the problem. Is this a warm boot or a cold boot? I had a similar problem - turned out it was a faulty modem. The only way I could reconnect was to power off and then power on the modem. After several weeks of this, I contacted my ISP's tech support. From their logs, they confirmed that the modem was indeed dropping the connection frequently and they replaced the modem. Problem solved.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Nick,

I don't have the same model as yours... I have the Netgear WGR614 wireless router. In the software for the router there is a feature that will disconnect you from the Internet. To quote the description in my Netgear router software:

"Idle Timeout An idle Internet connection will be terminated after this time period.

If this value is zero (0), then the connection will be "kept alive" by re-connecting immediately whenever the connection is lost."

Have you checked your router's software? I would expect that Netgear software might be quite similar between models.

Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi again Nick,

I just checked your Netgear DG834G Reference manual and it does have the same timeout feature as my wireless router.

Setting the timeout value to zero will probably solve your problem.

Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply. The Netgear is a separate router/modem. The supplier has resisted the suggestion that it is faulty, but your experience increases my suspicions. Boot of the computer is done warm. I don't have to turn the actual router/modem on and off separately though. I'll take it up with Netgear.

Nick

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Bob, sounds really promising. I'll try the setting and come back on whether it worked.

atb

Nick