Star Lounger
    Thanks

change text box to list box (97)

I have a database created by someone else, with about 3,000 records. I would like to make one of the text fields into a list box and was wondering if there was any quick way to do that. I used a separate table as the row source and got it all set up, but now when you go to that field in each record it says "the value you entered isn't valid for this field." I can update it by clicking okay to get rid of the message and then highlighting the list box choice again. But I don't want to do that for 3,000 records. Any suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: change text box to list box (97)

I don't understand why you want to change a textbox that's already populated to a listbox. ListBoxes are used to display choices and allow a selection, they aren't really meant to display selected values and it requires code to force a listbox to show the existing selection. You might be better off using a combobox, which will display the bound value and also dropdown a list.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry! I meant combo box. It is changed to a combo box and I do get that error message. I've entered the choices exactly as they are already in the field.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Check order of fields in the row source of the combobox.
    If it is a table or a query, the fields are numbered form 1 to x.
    Then check the Bound column property of the combobox in the data tab.
    There will be a number in it witch is the number of the field in the row source. Are these two fields from the Row source and the Control source the same type ?
    Francois

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I checked it and had to change the bound column number and it worked! Thank you.