5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Update Problem (WIN xp Home SP 2)

When trying to shut the system down, the following message comes up " Do not unplug or turn off your computer. It will turn off automatically." Then another message comes up as follows: "Updates are being installed (1of 3)." The person left the system at this point over night but the updates never installed. Updates involved are Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for WIN XP Service Pack 2 (KB 834707), Critical Update for Office XP on Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB 885884) and Microsoft GDI Detection Tool (KB 873374). CTRL, ALT and DEL did not work. I finally got the system to shut down by holding in the power button. Then restarted the system and all works but run into the same problem when shutting down.

Tried to do a system restore but it says the restore failed due to an improper shutdown (had to hold the power button to shut it down)

Went to Windows Update and it shows the three updates still need to be installed but not downloaded. ( 0 KB)

How can we work through this issue? Is there a way to delete the installation files?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Update Problem (WIN xp Home SP 2)

I would like to bounce an idea I had with whoever reads this - I downloaded the three updates (on another computer) and put them on a CD. I will then copy them to the affected system and try to install them in this way. I thought this might get rid of the message that "there are updates being installed." Any reaction to this as a possible solution???

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Rebel on 13-Oct-04 22:41. )</P>This will work. Had exactly (same 3 updates) the same problem on my daughter's computer last night - left it on all night but nothing installed. Downloaded them this morning (saved them) and then installed. Windows Update then recognizes that they have been installed. I then changed Automatic Updates to "Notify me but don't automatically download or install them".

BTW, when you went to Windows Update and saw that the three updates needed to be installed, I think the "0KB" meant that they had been downloaded - i.e. 0KB left to download. I think they had been downloaded but not yet installed (at least that's how I interpreted it). I received the same message.

Edited to add: Not sure how to get rid of the installation files that had originally been downloaded but failed to install. Possibly someone else has an answer.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yup - copied the three updates and installed and the shut-down problem is solved. However, it was interesting that one of the updates (KB 834707) came up with a setup error message as follows; "The version of Internet explorer you have installed does not match the update you are trying to install." I tried to install it three times with the same error. The owner of the system decided that as long as the shut-down problem was resolved, she didn't want to "mess around" anymore with that update.

Thanks for your input.

Thanks

I believe that if you are running IE SP2 (check IE, Help, About) this update is not required.
    John

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Update rollup 873377 includes the cumulative security fixes in security update 834707 and Internet Explorer hotfixes that were released after Microsoft security bulletin MS04-004.

Download and install an appropriate version of 873377 Update (I believe this is this version)

Thanks

These are both for IE6 - SP1. As I said, if you currently have IE6 - SP2 (6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), they are not required.
    John

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, in my previous post I put a wrong link. This is the right one:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for XP Service Pack 2 (KB834707)

This update is required for IE6 SP2. Download it (3,019 KB) and install.

Lounger
    Thanks

Had strange thing happen with 834707, similar to above. WU said I needed the patch. Downloaded it. Tried to install. Got same message that it was not for installed version.
    Checked WU and it no longer says that it is needed. Go figure.
    Have another system on which, WU shows that it is needed.
    Auto Update has not shown that it is needed.
    What gives??

Thanks

If it refers to IE.Sp2, why does MS (at the bottom of your referenced page)say:
    "APPLIES TO
    John

Thanks

Yes, I'm confused about this one as well. Probably the best solution is to go here , determine which version of IE you have and which version of Windows you have, and then manually download and install the appropriate update (there are 10 different versions). I was convinced that I did not need the update but <!profile=kaplinb>kaplinb<!/profile> was insistent that I did. I followed his advice, downloaded the patch for IE6-WinXP SP2 and installed it without any error messages.
    John

Lounger
    Thanks

After installing XP SP2 on my laptop, IE showed its level as IE6 - SP2 (6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158). However, WU said that KB 834707 was needed, but it would not install ( got message it was not for installed level). Checked back with WU and KB 824707 not needed.
    Same thing after installing XP SP2 on my desktop, it shows that KB 834707 is needed and IE is at same level as laptop.
    Just tried downloading fix again and applied to laptop. Guess what? Differennt file name and it runs with out error. But I am not sure what it changes, the IE level is the same and no indication that it has been installed. Only thing I can find is an uninstall folder and there is nothing in A/R.
    What confusion?? Need a Philadelphia lawyer to figure out what's needed these days? Maybe a way to drive us to atuo-update?