New Lounger
    Thanks

Convert Word Table Formulas? (Excel 2000+)

Hi, does anyone know of any utilities to convert table formulas in a Word document to a spreadsheet file in Excel? There must be other people out there who have Word tables set up with simple and/or complex formulas, then want to use that file in Excel and RETAIN the formulas!! Everything I've read so far says to recreate the formulas after the data is in Excel. What a drag!!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Convert Word Table Formulas? (Excel 2000+)

While it might be possible to do this with some simple fields, Word often uses a different syntax and has a number of field expressions that aren't supported in Excel (eg SUM(ABOVE)). Given the limited range of functions supported by Word, and Excel's much better capacity for replicating formulae across rows and up/down columns, it's unlikey that you'd have anything complicated enough to justify the effort of developing a utility to convert Word table formulae to Excel.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply. Yes I agree Excel is the better application when creating tables with formulas and doing "real-time" calculations. However, I frequently work with clients who have created sophisticated tables with formulas in WordPerfect and MS Word, and just hoping that someone may know of tools that could detect and rebuild the formulas in Excel.

Oh well. So much for true interaction between applications.

Thanks

Why do you need to rebuild?

Why not have excel link to the file to get the values desired and use the "formulas" that they created?

Steve

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

I'm with Steve on this: If you want "true interaction between applications", then embed an Excel worksheet in your Word document use the richness of the Excel environment to give your table as much sophistication as you can stand. Word tables were never meant for more than the basics, which is why Word's function set is so rudimentary. For example, try doing anything involving string manipulation, logarithms or trigonometry, you're out of luck - unless you're going to roll your own heavy-duty fields using Taylor Series approximations for the latter two (as I have done in <post#=365442>post 365442</post#>). Excel does all these as a matter of course.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]