Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Spell checking protected forms

Hi, I'm posting this because of a private email regarding spell checking in protected documents.

The question relates to the following article in <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MacrosVBA/SpellcheckProtectDoc.htm>this article</A> which, as a result of previous postings in this forum, I've been able to contribute to further.

The question is:

<hr>
    Hi Geoff,

I checked out that forum and have signed up, another great place to find answers when clients ask for seemingly impossible tasks!

I am emailing you in *absolute desperation*, if you have the time to help me with the problem below, I' d appreciate it, but if you don't I'll understand.

I have to have a word form on the website available for download by Saturday. I'm using word 97, windows 95 on a network.

I got the spellcheck in protected form template to work perfectly. I even got it to use the password to unprotect and reprotect. Problem is this audience is not at all computer literate, giving long instructions on saving as a template and creating a new doc from it is not an option. If I create a document from the template myself and put that on the web, users still need to install the template to get the spellchecker working.

So I tried to get the spellchecking macro into the document. I have spent about 6 hours over several days, and can't for the life of m e get it to work. I have checked the help and the manual for instructions on using the organiser - I just can't make that dialogue box do what I think it should - eg when I get the macro highlighted and click on copy it doesn't appear in the box on the right if the target is a document, it only does it if the target is a template.

I tried to copy the macro directly into the document by going into tools/macro/create, and pasting the code in, but can't do that either. When I try do this word has given me strange messages to the effect the disk is full and can't open macro storage area (can't get it to give me the exact message now to tell you). Can you tell me where the macro storage area is? Word is installed on my 10GB hard drive which has about 7.5GB empty, it seems like the default directory for the templates is the network drive (also heaps of room).

I will certainly buy you a beer if you can help me solve this stinker.
    <hr>
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Thanks

Re: Spell checking protected forms

Hi Geoff,

Is his template by chance on a floppy drive or on a network drive?

My method for copying code into a document is to go into the VBA Editor, insert a module into the document, and paste the code in the module.

For keyboard customizations, I use Chris Woodman's Keyboard Shortcut Organizer.

Another option would be to put the code in a global template and distribute that to each network. See: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm>Template Basics</A> (addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm) for more on templates (user and workgroup), document templates, global templates and Normal.dot.

Hope this is some help.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Geoff,

If the module name and macro name in the document are identical to the module and macro names in the attached template, that might cause this problem.

Gary

raynall

Hi all,

I am the person who posed this question to Geoff. My main problem now is that I can't even access any macros in any documents. (See last para of Geoff's post). For example when I go into tools/macros/edit I get a message saying "could not access macro storage area" I can't find any reference to this message in the help - any ideas?
    Thanks
    Jan

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Jan,

This came up in a previous thread. The solution in that particular case, had to do with the presence of square brackets in the filename - once these were removed, the problem went away.

This problem can also be caused by issues with network permissions - in order to function, VBA needs to open temp files in a specific directory; if this directory has been set to read only, then you can get this message. See this <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q162/0/53.asp?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=Could>MS KB article</A>.

Gary