5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Save changes? (Word 2002)

I find that when I open a document and close it without making any modifications, the "Do you want to save changes?" dialog often appears. I can't find any logical reason why this occurs sometimes and not others. I just opened about 20 random documents; about half closed without the message, and the other half caused the message to display. In all cases, I didn't even scroll through the document... I opened, and immediately chose File|Close.

The only reason that I can think of is that the "session" settings are different from the settings at the time the document was last saved. But I can open a document, close & save changes, and the re-open it immediately.... and still see this dialog. So no sessions changes (view, show/hide, etc.) had changed at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Richard Barrett

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Save changes? (Word 2002)

Repagination is considered a document change. Some reasons your documents might repaginate include:
    1. Opens in Page Layout view - needs to paginate
    2. Change a printer

You might have also updated fields. This might be set to happen automatically when you open a file.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks

Following on Andrew's post, using Print Preview typically will update fields (at least in the header and footer).

Another thing that seems to be recorded as a change is to access certain tabs of the File>Properties dialog -- I suspect the Statistics tab is running some kind of update when it is accessed, but I usually rifle through them so quickly that I haven't confirmed for sure that Statistics is the only one that causes this.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recently I found out that merely reading a BuildInDocumentProperty to get the name of the attached template through a macro is apparently recorded as a document change! To avoid the Save? question if nothing really changed, I added 3 extra lines (this is a small part of a large macro):

Dim blnSaved As Boolean
    blnSaved = ActiveDocument.Saved
    strTemplateName = ActiveDocument.BuildInDocumentProperties("Template ").Value
    ActiveDocument.Saved = blnSaved

This saves and restores the Saved status of the document prior to reading the property.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I, too, have noticed that reading a document property registers a change. We set all Document Summary fields to Firm Name Document (title), Firm Name Employee (author), and the other fields are set to Firm Name. (Our actual firm name takes the place of Firm Name.) I write this information only if I see that it's not correct after reading. Not only does this "dirty" the document, each read and write seems to cause Word Count to update. This is not noticeable unless the PC is performing sluggishly.

After much debate, we decided not to try to suppress the Save? message, since it's normal Word behavior and occurs even without custom macros or DMS integration. We also update the DocID in the footer as the document closes, which will always present the Save? question to the user. We train the users that if they open a document for review purposes only, the answer to this question is No.

Richard

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Richard:
    You could check whether the documents which cause this have Tools/Options/General/update automatic links on open ticked (& whether they have links).