New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Registry Entries (Windows XP All)

We are using a VLE (virtual learning environment) in our College. Currently when a user clicks the link to load an Word document or Excel spreadsheet the page loads into the bowser window by default, the nature of the VLE is that I need the document to load into the application that it was created in. To do this a user can go into the tools, folder options menu and adjust the settings there. I would like to find the registry key that controls this setting so we can push it to all users. Does anyone know of a way to find such a specific key or way to track the change so we can trace it down?

Thanks for any help given...

Scott

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Registry Entries (Windows XP All)

Since I read your post earlier I've been off in the Software forum searching but unable so far to come up with anything. I know there is software available for tracking changes to the registry but I'm having a senior moment and will keep looking. I guess you could do something by "brute force" by exporting a file from the registry, changing the program settings and then export another file. That of course would require a file comparison program to then find what has been changed. Gotta be a better way - hang on until someone else chimes in here.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by Bigaldoc to add URL code.[/i] See the Quick Guide or 1-Click TagPanel.

Thanks so much for researching this we actually found the solution online - on http://blogs.msdn.com/omars/archive/...29/123181.aspx. This shows the regkeys for all the office docs...thanks again - I did try a few programs to try and snapshot and compare before and after the changes - not much joy with it though...problem solved and that is what matter.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I just edited your post for the possible benefit of a future search someone might make. But I had to correct what I think was a typo in the document number. Would you check my work, please, to make sure I got the link you intended? Thanks and I'm glad you found what you needed - good searching!

New Lounger
    Thanks

That is the correct link - We have tested the regfix on several machines and it works a treat. We have only used the keys for Word and Excel. Thanks for fixing the post for others to have access to.

Scott