3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How does it do that? (Professional 2002 SP1)

Right well here's the story:

I just went to use Paint (MSPAINT.EXE) to change the background colour of a gif image transparent and I couldn't find the attribute setting?

So I checked in a W2K system that I have here and lo and behold, the attribute is there (Image->Attributes).

Microsoft seem to have removed that setting in the XP version of Paint. Dunno why, but they have.

Anyway I thought "no problem, I'll just copy MSPAINT.EXE from my W2K system to my XP system and everything in the garden will be rosy".

By the way, I noticed that the version of MSPAINT.EXE on my W2K system is dated 14th July 2003, whilst the copy in my XP system is 29th August 2002, nearly a year older.

So, I copied my W2K version over the top of teh XP version (having saved a copy of the XP one first) and then clicked on the program and the attribute was back. All was joy.

Then I tried to run it again and the attribute had gone.

When I checked the WINDOWS/SYSTEM32 directory, it had renamed my W2K version of MSPAINT.EXE to MSPAINT.EXE.TMP and had put a copy of the XP one back.

So 2 questions here:

1. <LI>Does anyone know why MS have removed the Transparency option from the 2002 XP version of Paint, whilst leaving it in a 2003 W2K version?
      <LI>How come it keeps changing back to the original version?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How does it do that? (Professional 2002 SP1)

Hi Paul

1/ No idea - hopefully another Lounger has the answer

2/ Windows XP includes a system file checker, it scans system files and if it finds that a protected file has been overwritten it replaces it with the correct version from the cache. MS Paint must be one of those protected system files.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

1. I guess it is an attempt to force you to buy additional programs like MS Picture It! by limiting functionality of "free" stuff that comes with Windows. By the way, a new version of Mspaint, that comes with WinXP SP-2 (5.1.2600.2108, 8/4/04) has the same lack of Transparency option as the original one (5.1.2600.1106, 8/29/02).

2. Just save a copy of version that comes with Win2000 SP-4 (5.0.2195.6601, 6/19/03) and replace the XP version when necessary.

Thanks

Help > Help Topics...
    Click on the Index tab, scroll down to the 'Draw Opaque command' entry and double-click it.
    There are instructions regarding transparency there, but I personally could not make head nor tail of them. (I suspect it is a change in method rather than a removal of the facility.)
    I tend to use PhotoEditor (which comes with MSOffice), as it has always seemed a lot easier to use the Transparency tool.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, that's not it, that's there in the W2K version too. It refers to shapes within the picture, rather than the picture itself.