4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't Change File Names on CDRW (Windows XP SR-2)

I am not able to rename files on a CD that is RW. Every time I right-click and try to rename a file I get an error message:

<center> <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold">Cannot rename filename. The parameter is incorrect.</span hi> </center>
    If I want to rename a file I have to move it off the CD, rename it, and put it back. Seems kinda silly doesn't it?

I use Nero to write to CDs but I don't think it is a Nero issue. Also, I have disabled the built in XP CD burner. I did this after I wasn't able to edit file names.

Any ideas?
    <font face="Comic Sans MS"><big><font color=4682b4>Sherry</font color=4682b4></big></font face=comic>

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't Change File Names on CDRW (Windows XP SR-2)

Hi Sherry,

In your highlighted note you reference filename. Is that the actual filename or is it something else? If the actual filename has spaces in it then that could be your problem. Filenames with spaces should have opening and closing double quote characters when referenced in a CMD environment. For example "Test File with spaces in the name.txt". Are there any special characters in your filename?

Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bob,
    filename was my generic for any file name. I'm not sure I understand about the quotes- you can't use quotes when right-clicking and renaming a file. Also, the same thing happens if I create a new folder on a CD then try to rename it. After the resulting New Folder is created I try to give it a meaningful name and I get the same error message. And just to see if it had anything to do with having spaces in the name, I tried to rename a file and a folder with a single word name. No luck. I'm just wondering if there is some setting in XP that is preventing me from renaming files on a CD??
    <font face="Comic Sans MS"><big><font color=4682b4>Sherry</font color=4682b4></big></font face=comic>

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It sounds to me as though you are trying to treat a writeable CD as though it were a standard hard disk. It isn't. It has a different file system and a different way of storing data.

There is no way you can actually rename a file on a CD because you can't change data that has already been written, you can simply append more data to the CD - if it is a RW then you can also ERASE an existing CD, but you can't rewrite part of the CD without erasing the whole thing. You can get Direct CD drivers which will try to make the CD seem to behave the same as a disk - but this is just a way of "pretending".

When you "move it off the CD, rename it, and put it back" what is actually happening is that you are writing information to the CD telling it that the original file has been deleted - so although the data is still there it won't be reported as present - and then creating a new file with a different name.

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sherry,

I agree with you that quotes are not required when you right click (or press F2) to perform a rename. You stated that the error message included the phrase "The parameter is incorrect" and so I was thinking that perhaps you were trying the rename function in the CMD environment.

As a test, I just took an old CD-RW backup created by my old HP burner a few years ago under Windows 98 and tried the rename function with my current burner, a Plextor under Windows XP SP2. After several minutes, I received an I/O error message. At the moment, the burn light is still flashing on the Plextor. I tried to eject the CD-RW but it refuses to do so as it still trying to do something.

Albeit that Stuart has provided some addition insight on burning of CD-RWs, I will try again using a new set created under Windows XP SP2 just to see if I get the same error message that you received. As stated... just curious.

Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

In addition what StuartR said, your rewritable CD can be formatted as regular CD with or without multisession, or as removable storage under different programs (Nero InCD, Roxio DirectCD or Drag To Disk, etc.). The problem is that these formats are not interchangable (in other words, you cannot edit Roxio DirectCD under Nero, for example). The most current versions of programs give you more options (Nero 6 is more powerful than Nero 5, Easy Media Writer is more powerful than Easy CD Creator etc.) In your case, it seems you have CD-RW formatted as regular CD without multisession and you use outdated Nero or Roxio program. To remame a file in this case, you need to copy all content of your CD to the hard drive, remame a file, erase the CD and wirite the content once again. But if you use newer versions, it is possible to add multisession option to existing CD (for example, if you use Nero 6 Ultra, run Nero StartSmart and under Favorites choose Make Data CD). The problem with multisession CDs is that older CD drives may read the first session only, not the latest one - you will see no changes on CD!