2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Run or Save Prompt (6)

I'm using a local web which resides on the user's local system as a user interface to automate processes for our employees. Many of the processes need to launch executables. Is there a way...to get ride of the "run or save" prompt for *.exe files. I do not see this extension listed in the Folder Types to change the option to uncheck confirm open after download. Choosing this option on an executable file also increases security risks when the user accesses other sites.

Alternatively, is there a way when defining the links to these files in the html pages that I can launch them without the user getting prompted?

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Run or Save Prompt (6)

It is a security issue.
    Yes you should be able to turn this OFF but I would not.
    It would turn loose every invected exe file ever recevied on evry machine in the company.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

IE can run VBScript (assuming you let it), and VBScript can emulate the Start menu's Run... dialog using either the built-in Shell command, or the Windows Script Host's Shell object and Run method. I realize that's a mouthful, but hopefully with some crafty searching here in the Lounge you can find some sample code to launch your .EXE files.

Note that Windows XP SP2 has further locked down the security in the My Computer zone. So old code might not work exactly right without a few tweaks to those settings...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

It is very difficult, if not darn near impossible, to turn this off for .exe files. You will note that the usual check box is "grayed out" and .exe files are not listed under Folder Options | File Types. It is my guess that this is hard-coded into the system files -- and even editing the Edit Flags in the registry is not effective (I tried it!).