New Lounger
    Thanks

Reminders, multiple recipients (2002, SP2)

In my office, we wish to create a Reminder (or Event, doesn't matter), in my Calendar, that will appear on not only my account, but other's in the office. Is there any way to do that? I've been experimenting with a couple of things, none working.

Also, can I create a fully functioning Calendar for public access by the entire office, and at the same time, use my personal Calendar? That is, can I use 2 Calendars at the same time. I've tried copying the Original Calendar, but the copy doesn't function fully. For ex, reminders set in this calendar copy will not appear.

What we're essentially trying to do is to keep track of certain expiration dates. Several of us want to be notified of same automatically, such as by a Outlook Calendar reminder. We also want these dates/reminders displayed on a Calendar we can all access from different workstations. Some of us also want to print this calendar.

Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reminders, multiple recipients (2002, SP2)

You can create shared calendars a couple of different ways: with Exchange and Public Folders, or as discussed in <!post=this thread,370048>this thread<!/post> However AFAIK no Shared Calendar can trigger a reminder to multiple users. In native Outlook you can either send a Meeting invitation of zero duration to all users who need the reminder, or you can set and delegate a Task with a Reminder to all users who need the Reminder, or you can create a Message with a Reminder Flag, but that has some limitations. Also, neither the Task nor the Message will appear in the Calendar. I hope one of these optiions will work for you.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, what we would like to do is set up a calendar that's accessible by several people in the office, and fully functional for all those people. We would like to allow all these people to enter reminders etc, and to have them appear on everyone's computer.

Perhaps Outlook isn't the way to go? Any other ideas?

BTW, anyone know how to check a computer to see if you have Microsoft Exchange?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by JohnBF on 15-Oct-04 11:38. Covered the issue that only Default Calendar Reminders fire in native Outlook.)</P>To see if you have Exchange on a client installation of Outlook, right click the default Mailbox parent, select Properties | Advanced, and look for the type of messaging service.

Personally I think Outlook will do what you want, just not quite the way you envisaged. After a bit of experience, everyone should get comfortable with it.

If you do have Exchange, have your IT Server staff set up a Public Folder Calendar dedicated to the issues you want to track ('Warranty Expiry Calendar' or whatever), designate who can create and modify items and have your IT Server staff give them Permissions, and have the owner(s) create items as meetings of zero duration (Start and End times the same, or All Day Events if the time of day isn't important) and time "Free" status, and send the meeting invite to all the people who need reminders.

If you don't have Exchange, use your (or someone's) default Calendar to track the itemswith access per the posts I referred to earlier, and then use the same technique of sending a meeting. You may need to set up a special mailbox just for this calendar, because, and I forgot to mention this, in Native Outlook, only the Default Calendar Reminders Fire. You can remedy this limitation with Ken Slovak's "Extended reminders" product.

I should also mention that there are some more complex ways, such as setting a task or meeting item that triggers a reminder e-mail message to each person. Those approaches require some VBA coding and do not necessarilty also provide Calendar access. I think there are some old threads on those approaches if you want to Search the Forum.
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, thank you John. Setting up a new Outlook account also occurred to me, and we may have to go that route. However, an observation: You would think the Microsoft people would make it easy for someone like me (an admin assistant), to create a public calendar without having to go thru IT. We're not a law firm, but I would expect this would be very valuable to same, with all their calendaring they do (as an example.)

AND, what would be a great feature is for someone to be able to set up multiple calendars that function as fully as the original/default one.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Good luck with getting something that works for you.

I hearttlily agree with you about features. If you want to Search this Forum for "annoyance" you'll find several complaints from me about things that Outlook doesn't do that it should, and many from other people complaining about shortcomings. Just a couple of threads back there are comments on how limited the priniting capabilities of Outlook are. But, for a corporate environment, Outlook does many things very well, such as the tools for meeting invitation and response.

On the other hand, there need to be restrictions built in to Public Folders, otherwise people could just create stuff willy-nilly, and nasty shenanigans and even sabotage could occur.
    UTC -7ąDS