New Lounger
    Thanks

Slow down when connected to Server

Hi There, I have this odd problem that I was hoping someone might recognise.
    MY Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 PC is taking 40 minutes to boot. It gets through the POST and the Windows splash with the increasing bar at the bottom of the screen and then it displays the starting messages ( Network settings, Applying Computer Settings etc) this phase takes about 15 minutes. Then I can log in and then it displays "Loading your personnel settings" for about 25 minutes. After that it runs mostly as normal except IE6 takes 30 seconds to launch and Office products slow down at launch.

After extensive research ( i.e. Duel boot machine so tested with Win98, found no problem. Used Ghost to return to a 5 month old version of Win 2000, problem persisted. Removed CD drives, DVD drives, Hard drive in sequence to see if one might be the cause, problem persisted. Replaced router, problem persisted.)

However, I found this out. The slow downs only occurs if my Windows 2000 server is on.
    If I boot and then plug in the Network cable ( or the server is off when I boot ) then I can boot windows in a normal time. After that I plug in the network cable and only IE^ and Office are slow. If I unplug again then Office and IE6 start quickly again.

I checked the Server Event System Log and saw this.

Event 5722
    "The session setup from the computer Cheech failed to authenticate.
    The name of the account referenced in the security database is Cheech$ The following error occurred:
    Access is denied. "

Is this the problem do you think or is this a red herring?

I'm not too hot on 2000 Server so any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers for any help, sorry this is so long.

Richard

Network:

Windows 2000 server. Used to authenticate to Domain and as web server
    Windows 2000 pro. Workstation
    Windows 98SE. Workstation
    ADSLmodem/router. Used as DHCP server. Seems to set itself up as DNS server or forwarder?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slow down when connected to Server

Solved it.
    Removed computer account on server.
    put pc into a workgroup
    killed and rebuilt DNS server
    added DNS of server into Client TCP/IP ( not done by DHCP server on router, naturally)
    waited for server DNS to refresh
    Used Wizard to re-join client to server.

Now all starts up at full speed

Richard