2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Spurious disk operations: virus?

Can anyone help me figure this out? I thought the problem was with the VIA MVP3 chipset, because I had this problem on two computers with that chipset. On both of them, the hard drive controller eventually failed, and one hard drive also failed -- possibly due to being over-exercised?

But now I am running a Dell GX1 -- Pentium II 450, Intel chipset. As I have the same problem, I think that it must be a virus -- but Norton Antiviruscan't find any. And in fact, now, the problem is occurring in one of its own files.

I get spurious disc accesses. Thousands of them per second. See the attached file, which is a screen shot from the disk activity monitor FILEMON.EXE. The affected file in this case is part of Norton Antivirus -- and the activity through this file ceases when I disable automatic protection -- though other files on my computer also show spurious disk activity. It appears that the files may have been corrupted with something that makes them run disk operations. But I'm flummoxed. I have spent many hours of my time installing hardware and software to get this machine working nicely, and now this....

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Spurious disk operations: virus?

I would think it's fairly unlikely to be a virus, because simply accessing the hard drive with no other apparent effects is not virus-like activity. Well, not recent viruses, anyway!

It may be worth you downloading and running one or more of the spyware/adware scanners mentioned in <post#=296439>post 296439</post#>, if only to eliminate this area of malware from your investigations.

John

PS Your attachment never made it to the board... Does FileMon point to a specific, single, file? Presumably you've checked on the Symantec support website for instances of this hard disk enthusiasm?
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Re: Spurious disk operations: virus?

Do you have the indexing service running? (See <post#=301041>post 301041</post#> for example.)