3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Toolbars and Normal.Dot (2002/SR2)

I experimented with a new toolbar a week or so back, and have decided it is not a good idea. But I can't shift it from normal.dot. Even when I open the template, and delete the toolbar in question, it somehow reappears as soon as I open the template again. Anyone got any ideas? The Help says my deleting should have done the job ...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Toolbars and Normal.Dot (2002/SR2)

To open a template either use the File/Open menu and go to the location where templates are stored and open it or use Windows Explorer and open thye file by right clicking on it and selecting Open- do not double click on it or you will open a copy of it and not the original template. To see if you have opened the template look at the Title Bar, it should say Normal.dot. If it says Document 1, you have opened a copy of the template and not the template itself. Opening a copy and then changing it has no effect on Normal.dot.

Fred

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Philip:
    Are you sure that the toolbar was saved in normal.dot? It's possible that you saved it in another template, in which case you should delete the toolbar through the Organizer. You should be able to delete the toolbar even with the template not open.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much for this. What made the difference was deleting the toobar in the organizer, rather than just by going into the toolbars and right-clicking.

Thanks

Changes to Normal.dot should be saved when you exit Word (normally, i.e., not by crashing). You can "force" an immediate save by holding Shift and clicking the File menu. You should have a new option called "Save All" which will save Normal.dot along with the open documents.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You're quite welcome. I should mention that you can also delete a custom toolbar by going to Tools/Customize.../Toolbars tab. Then, select the toolbar & click the Delete button. However, right clicking a blank spot on a toolbar merely brings up a list of available toolbars. Checking or unchecking them shows or hides the particular toolbar; it doesn't delete it.