New Lounger
    Thanks

Chapter headings with numbered styles (XP)

I'm working on a LARGE document with several numbered chapter titles linked to a style. I want the chapter number ("Chapter X") in large font with the chapter name ("Introduction") on the following line in a smaller font, and I'm putting the chapter title in the header. I have the different font sizes, but the two-line setup has been difficult.

I tried entering a carriage return (SHIFT+ENTER) in the between the chapter number and heading, however it carried over to the header and put the title on the second line of the header. Can anyone suggest how I can get the chapter number and title on separate lines without the formatting affecting the text in the header? Any books/sites/etc that help with customizing chapter headings would be appreciated.

Cheers, Andy.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Chapter headings with numbered styles (XP)

I would think that you need to use two different styles for the two different lines (as two different paragraphs).

In the header you would need to use a pair of fields rather than the single one you currently have.

The TOC might be more problematic though - what did you expect to see in the TOC? It might be easiest to use TC fields to bring these back onto one line in the TOC.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Andy,

How about decreasing the line indent for the paragraph where the chapter number and title are? That is, if you decrease the indent so that it just fits "Chapter 1", then the rest of what's on that line is automatically thrown onto a separate line. The problem might be that the chapter title might be so long that it takes up more than another line. If that's the case, you may have to resort to some popular tricks whereby the entry for the table of contents is hidden (using the decreased line indent suggested here) and the text in the body for the chapter number and title is based on that hidden text.

See attachment for a quick idea of what I meant. HTH.

Fred
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Andrew & Fred for your help. I tried the hidden text idea, but it became pretty complicated. In the end, I've got Heading 1 for chapter no. and a separate style for chapter title. It's not much easier, but it's more in line with what I want to do with headers and subsections and contents.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
    Cheers, Andy