New Lounger
    Thanks

Renaming autoarchive folders (Outlook 2003 / Generic)

I use a three tier structure for managing my E-Mail. On the Exchange server and in my personal mail folders I keep the last two weeks mail. This keeps my Exchange usage down and discourages the admin from arbitrary deletion of my mail. Every day I autoarchive mail over 14 days old from my Personal Folder into an archive folder on my local system. With a combination of rules and manual intervention I move mail out of the archive inbox into a multi-tiered subject folder structure. In the meantime there are over 100 folders and subfolders. You with me so far?

To stop the archive folder getting too big to manage, I have autoarchive rules on each of the archive folders which move mail into an offline archive folder in my domain controller user space. This happens when mail is between 3 and 12 months old depending on subject. Practically speaking I have set up an autoarchive rule on each archive folder, as it was created, to move mail to uncnameusersmyfolderoffline.pst. This system works fine and dandy, until today.

Today I find that our MIS crew are moving the user directories to another server and that means I have to rename the autoarchive folder in over 100 locations. Does anyone have any suggestions for automating this process? The idea of having to trawl through each folder doing a manual renaming of the autoarchive folder fills me with fear and loathing. Suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks - Bill

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Renaming autoarchive folders (Outlook 2003 / Generic)

Two questions.

Usually when there's a server migration, IS remaps your server drives the same as they were before, even thought the UNC changes, so renaming the PST's isn't necessary. Are you sure that the mapping will change?

Can you explain why you need to rename your archives? Even if IT doesn't remap your server drives the same, there's no need to change the file names, your problem will be to reset the archive paths in your Rules.

You might want to think about managing your files differently. For example if you remove most attachments, you'll have substantially smaller PSTs, both active PST's and Archive PSTs. 100+ PSTs is quite a lot considering that a PST can hold up to 2 GB. Also, you can manually merge archive PSTs if you wish.

If you are certain that you'll have to rename, I don't see any simple way to automate it. How does your Archive naming convention work?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply and the interest, John.

As usual in these cases, I have simplified my description for the sake of clarity. I don't use mapped drives (U for a number of reasons and have, instead, set up my offline archive using a UNC path name. That's why it is changing when I move to the new server. I agree that it would have been simpler if I had stuck with a mapped drive, but for various reasons I couldn't and didn't.

I have not made myself clear in one point. I don't have 100 .pst files. I have two .pst files each with over 100 folders and subfolders. Let's make this 100% clear (or try to) while still simplifying for clarity.

I have a Personal Mail folder (localoutlook.pst) with the usual sub-folders. Most of the sub-folders are set to autoarchive after 14 days to the system default archive which is ....
    Archive Folder (localarchive.pst). This is where I mainly administer my mail and this archive has over 100 sub-folders by topic. I want this to move mail after 180 days to the ...
    Offline Archive (remoteoffline.pst). I want this to mirror the structure of the Archive Folder, which autoarchive does so effectively with only one LARGE downside.

My problem is that remoteoffline.pst will become remote1offline.pst in the near future and I have over 100 locations where I have to manually make this change. I am hoping that there is an easier solution. And, if there isn't, I am declaring this to be a huge Outlook annoyance.

I would like to see the ability to make a global change to the autoarchiving settings of all subfolders of a folder instead of having to change each one individually.

I hope that has clarified things. A half-day with Google (Outlook autoarchive setting amend) has not given me any hope.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Bill, mea culpa for not reading that you are already using the UNC (which you indeed stated).

Do I understand correctly that you have about 100 folders in 1 PST that you need to individually reset the archive path to? Archive settings are not exposed in the Outlook VB Object Model, but can be reassigned with CDO or the Redemption library. See the CDO code at OutlookCode, including Sue Mosher's reply post on recursive code to get the entire Folder Collection; you should be able to cut the posted code down just to reset the path. I haven't worked with CDO much, and Redemption not at all; if you use the CDO method be sure to set a reference to the CDO 1.21 library in the VBE under Tools | References.

The inability to broadcast many settings changes, such as Archive and View settings, to all Folders is a major Outlook annoyance.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks John, for the pointer. I'm not familiar with this type of work so before breaking my system I'll set up a test and try it there. Or maybe I'll just reconsider how I do my mail. Anyway this is all postponed until I have "lots" of time. In the meantime I'll live without the autoarchiving.

Bill