Thread: Norton Ghost v9

Thanks

Norton Ghost v9

Hoping the edit will garner some attention:

I just spent the last hour copying 8 NTFS CD's to my HD so that I could use Norton Ghost Explorer to recover a particular file... And the restore was corrupt somewhere.

Isn't there a ghost-like program that doesn't require all image files to be able to "explore" the backup?

CB

Has anyone used the new Norton Ghost (9)? Is this a Drive Image clone?

When I make an image with Ghost 2003 to CD, and assuming that it spans several disks, if I want to "explore it, there is a *major* amount of swapping involved in order to retrieve a file. Is this true with the new version, or have they fixed this?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

With high hope for the future, no prediction is ventured.
    -- Abraham Lincoln
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Norton Ghost v9

This is one of those replies that's not really a reply because I don't know the answer! I do my image backup to another hard drive, NOT to CDs. I haven't used Ghost for a number of years but I suspect that Drive Image and TrueImage "probably" do the same thing. Maybe it's something in the architecture of a CD file system, I don't know. I can only tell you that TrueImage "mounts" your backup as a temporary drive letter when you want to explore the image, that's why I would guess it too would require all the CDs. When I was using Drive Image and wanted to explore a backup, it would take "some time" (but not excessive) reading the backup, but once again I didn't use CDs back then. Without even talking about external drives or other devices, in this age of four (or more) possible IDE drives, and the low price of hard drives, the only thing I can suggest is a change in backup strategy.

Thanks

Al:

You're probably right. I do my icrementals and such to my second HD, but in the spirit of trying to be cooperative, and in light of the fact that *much* of the *conventional wisdom" out there says off-site backups are best, I was just trying to comply...

Oh well...

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Super Moderator
    Thanks

One thing that has been done for years is do as Al does, but also burn a copy of the backed filed and store them off site. You have local copy when needed, but if system site was destroyed, you can retrieve from the off site.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Dave:

Again I think you guys are right... I was trying I guess to simplify, but not in the cards I spose...

I just find it interesting that with a Fat32 system, you could have 50 CD's, and if you needed a file Norton Ghost woudl ask for the first cd of the set, then the last cd of the set, then you pick the file, and it would then say, for instance, "Put in CD 34" without any swapping.

But NTFS doesn't do this with even 2 cd's. What happens, is the file table broken up into 600 pieces?

Regards,
    Chuck

You must first have a lot of patience to learn to have patience.
    - Stanislaw J. Lec

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

In ISO 9660, with a multivolume set, the directory structures that are used are on the last volume of the set.

THe best software can do is cache the entire directory structure, but you do have to swap the CDs for each file, it depends how they were recorded.

If parts of the file are on separate volumes then you do need to swap.

Thanks

Howard:

That's too bad -- because the only recourse you're really left with (from a practical standpoint) is to restore the entire partition or disk, or else only back up to another hard drive.

Oh well, thanks for the info...

Regards,
    Chuck

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

iso 9660 was explicitly designed as a PUBLISHING format, only for read-only media.

ISO 9660 is not appropriate for backup, ISO/IEC 13346 is better suited.

see http://www.standards.com/index.html?Standards