New Lounger
    Thanks

sql server login prompt

I am running access 2000 and have linked to an sql server (version 8). When I go to run a query it prompts for a 'SQL Server Login'. Is there any way that I can store this password so that I don't have to give the password out to anybody?

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: sql server login prompt

Yes, it can be done, but the method depends on how you are connecting to SQL Server - I presume version 8 is really SQL Server 2000. If you are using an ODBC connection, you can set the password in the DSN the you create with the ODBC Data Sources admin tool. If you are using an ADP, or you are connecting using ADO, then you need to specify a connection string in setup or your code, and you can specify a password there. You will also need to know whether the database you are connecting to uses Standard or Integrated security in either case, as the setup is a bit different.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes we use ODBC. The connection is setup as a system dsn but I am not sure if we us ADP or ADO. I am sure that the database is using standard security

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you use the Data Source (ODBC) admin tool and configure the data source by selecting it and then clicking the Configure button, then do Next once, you should see the ability to set the UserID and the password - but you have to select the bottom radio button that says use Standard Security ("With SQL Server authentication using . . .") before you can enter the UserID and password. If you are using linked tables in an .MDB then you are probably using ODBC. If the database has lots of code in it you could be using either ADO or DAO as the data access method - DAO works with ODBC linked tables, while ADO sets a direct connection to the table. Hope this helps clarify the situation.
    Wendell