Alongi

How do i make a .help file

Ok i made a database but I also worte up a help paper for the users of it i was wondering if there is a way to make a .hlp file so when a person goes underhelp it will show them my help file instead.

Dom

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How do i make a .help file

A help file editor is included in every Office Developer version that I've worked with. However, it is not easy to do and the tools are poorly documented, especially in the later versions. There are also third party (but expensive) tools like RoboHelp for creating help files, and there may be shareware tools out there for the same purpose.

What version of Office are you using?
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,
    Writing an online help system is not a tivial undertaking. For example converting a winword document to a help file is only part of the task. You also need to decide if you want a classic help format (.hlp file) or a compiled HTML format (.chm file). Compiled help is the future and, in my opinion, looks and feels nicer but does not support some things directly (eg. segmented hypergraphics - translation: click on a graphic at different places to obtain different popup/jumps).

Robohelp and DocToHelp (from Wextech or Wextex) are tools to assist you. Both have trial versions on their web sites available for download. With Robohelp I have no experience, DocToHelp I find has problems with Word 2000, Word 97 is OK. However there are limits to what DocToHelp can do.

If it is a small interface a simple method of help is to have numbers of Access reports (one per form) that you call from a button on the form. This gives direct help but no search possibilities. The advantages are that you could have it running in a very short time and it doesn't cost anything apart from your time.

You could work directly with a help compiler but it is NOT EASY.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with Andy on that one. I've built help files using the help compiler and the experience was less than a pleasure. However, I needed once needed a quickie help file on an application and I built a table-based help form for it that might give you some ideas. I've attached an Access 97 version of a sample database that contains the help form.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Charlotte