Maine, USA

Secure Sites (6.0/SP1)

Despite's protests to the contrary, I am concerned that their site for posting personal financial data has no closed padlock icon. In fact, right after I enter my username and password, I.E. pops up a message saying, "You are about to be redirected to a connection that is not secure. The information you are sending to the current site might be retransmitted to a nonsecure site. Do you wish to continue?" If I click "Yes," all my financial data appears on the screen and the padlock icon disappears entirely. Do I believe Intuit? (I've written them all of this, and they still assure me the site is safe.) Or do I believe the missing icon? Will appreciate anyone's thoughts and experience.

Silicon Valley, USA

Re: Secure Sites (6.0/SP1)

Is the site using frames? IE can only display one padlock, so if a particular frame is secured, but not the top-level frame, you might not see the lock. (I've only seen this problem on one or two sites; usually the site realizes that this is a user confidence problem!)

Try this: right-click a blank area near your personal information, and choose Properties. Is there an HTTPS prefix on the URL? Any other indication that it is secured?

If it turns out that you are using the site in an unexpected frame, your computer may have some kind of devious spyware on it. You could try using Firefox or another non-IE-based browser and see if you have a different experience, or change the way that you get to the site.