3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word acting slow (Word 2000)

Edited by HansV to provide link to post - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>.

I just recently installed SP2 and now Word is acting very slow. Word itself will open with blazing speed, but to open a document is very slow, spell checking is very slow, if I try to tab one whole word at a time it is very slow and saving is very slow. Any ideas? I tried the 'second step' in <post#=197827>post 197827</post#> and lost my macros, without it fixing the problem. When I open Word with the command "winword.exe /a" I can open the file and everything works with normal speed.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word acting slow (Word 2000)

Do you have Norton (= Symantec) Anti Virus (NAV)? If so, the Office Plugin may slow down Word. You can turn it off without compromising security. From the NAV console, click Options, then General or Miscellaneous (depending on your NAV version). Make sure that the Enable Microsoft Office Plugin check box is clear.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Currently I do not have Norton AntiVirus. I did have it until yesterday. After installing SP2, I couldn't log on to our local network where a lot of my information is stored, so we took Norton off while our company computer tech is getting information from Norton how to fix that problem. Once I uninstalled Norton, I got on the LAN with no problems and my computer ran considerably faster with the exception of Word. I did a little more checking, and it seems to be the one file that gives me problems. The file size is 2.58 mb. Thanks, HansV for your note on making a clickable link.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It could be that the one file is corrupt, if that's the only one slowing Word. Make a copy & save it as .htm & then open it in Word & save it back as a Word document. If that doesn't work, you can search the forum for corrupt document for some other tips.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What I finally did was copy the most important part of the document that I use all the time to a new document. I can still access the old document, but the new document acts like it's supposed to.