Thread: NTFS on USB-key

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

NTFS on USB-key

I own an USB-key (256Mb - USB2). Want to see if I can share encrypted files between two WinXP-Pro systems. In order to do that, I must re-format my key from FAT32 (in which it is formatted now) to NTFS.

Regretfully, I don't have a clue as to how that would work... I tried plain Format, that only allows FAT and FAT32. The Disk-management menu from WinXP also doesn't seem to give a clue. I also owm PartitionMagic (v8), there my key isn't even listed (let alone I could reformat)....

I must be overlooking something... but what?? Anyone with the ultimate tip?

Thanks,

Erik Jan

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: NTFS on USB-key

A number of these devices come with, or can have downloaded, extra software which will allow you to setup encryption. Try checking out the company's website.
    Christopher Baldrey

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

See the following from "XP Professional File Systems", from a TechNet Search:

Although NTFS is the preferred file system for hard disks, Windows XP Professional uses FAT12 when you format floppy disks and FAT32 when you format DVD-RAM discs. For removable media that can be ejected unexpectedly, you must use FAT16 or FAT32. NTFS is disabled for some removable media because NTFS does not flush data to the disk immediately, and removing NTFS-formatted media without using the Safe Removal application can result in data loss.

If you do not plan on removing the media and want to use NTFS, you can change the Safe Removal policy.

To enable NTFS on removable media
    * In Device Manager, right-click the device, and then click Properties.
    * On the Policies tab, click Optimize for performance.

Note that the bold emphasis in the above quotation is mine...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It might be easier to use a different encryption program, such as PGPdisk. This would enable you to store your encrypted data on the FAT32 file system.

StuartR